Bluetooth from mp3 player

I'd like to have a bluetooth signal from my mp3 player to an bluetooth earphone. I listen to talk, not interested in hi fidelity. The mp3 player has a USB connector as does the bluetooth transmitter. I'm looking at the transmitter below but that's just the first one I found. I like the tiny size.

It would be simple if the bluetooth transmitter had an audio input, I didn't think that was part of the protocol until I saw the diagram on this page:
it seems to show an audio line that skips digitization? (I don't think so)

Would it be as simple as connecting USBs together output to input and input to output?

Would it need a controller to make it function? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

(I finally figured out that you want to listen "to speach", not listen "to talk".) The USB connector is to provide power as well as a data path, so the transmitter would plug into the USB jack on, say a laptop. The digitized audio feed to the transmitter would come from the laptop's microphone through the audio controller in the laptop - that you'd have to leave powered up somewhere - and you'd then be able to use the Bluetooth earphone to listen to, say your girlfriend's conversations. But in case she finds the laptop, you'd better erase the hard drive and re-install the OS and any necessary settings before you do it.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Hey Jim,

Well yea, its speech but its talk radio I listen to. My mp3 player has fm. I also record, oops, I mean download podcasts that contain speech. I want to connect the Bluetooth transmitter to the mp3 player. Do you have any ideas about that?

You might have fun here,

Mike

Reply to
amdx

Nope. I have no idea what you want to do. What role does the FM reception have? What do you download the podcasts to? What do you mean by "connect" in "connect the Bluetooth transmitter to the MP3 player"? What is the desired path of the data?

Over and OUT.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Wow, I think 1 generally ask pretty clear questions, but let me try again.

1) I have an mp3 player. a. The mp3 player also has an fm tuner built into it. 2) I have a bluetooth wireless headset.

3) I want to get "program material" from the mp3 player to the bluetooth wireless headset.

4) I expect to purchase a bluetooth USB adapter. a. I don't think the name "bluetooth USB adapter" is very descriptive so (I used the term bluetooth transmitter although admittedly even the bluetooth wireless headset transmits)

5) So, I need to adapt the "bluetooth USB adapter" to the mp3 player to get an audio signal into the bluetooth wireless headset.

6) The desired data path is mp3 player to "bluetooth USB adapter" to bluetooth wireless headset.

7) If needed I would build a simple controller but it would need to be small. Mike See "bluetooth USB adapter"

amdx

You can not do that from where you are starting.

The mp3 player is a USB device, the USB adapter is a USB device, no masters anywhere.

You could build a USB master to talk to both devices, but it won't be small.

If you have never done this before, you will not have a chance to getting it complete. Not without learning a whole lot of stuff about USB and microcontollers.

Neat idea, just not a beginners project.

good luck

donald

Reply to
donald

Ok, thanks Donald, I suspect your right, but was hoping there would be a simple way. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Took less then 120000 milliseconds to Google and find a solution:

panteltje

Thanks for the input, I'll followup and see if it's compatible with any other headsets. Mike PS. I have seen mp3 players that have bluetooth built into them.

Reply to
amdx

Well the site says "Designed for use only with the JayBird JB-100 headset. Not intended or tested for use with any other bluetooth brands or products." Mike

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:26:39 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Sure, that is a disclaimer, but they also give a lot of details about frequency etc. Maybe you can compare it to what your headset does. Maybe there are other mp3 adapters. Maybe you could google for people who tried it with their headsets. I do not know enough about bluetooth to give an opinion from their specs, google usually is your friend.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think the following exchange on a simialr topic is pertinent to your question: Basically the MP3 player will only be able to work with a bluetooth transmitter through the head phone out jack if the player does not have built in bluetooth. There are aseveral brands that will make that mp3 headphone out connection (Motorola, Jabra, BlueTake,etc.) , Take Care, Larry Bowen the meeage chain of interest: James, thanks for the response! I might try this out even though I've gone down the more expensive road of the new Plantronics Voyager 855 + Oakley iCombi Bluetooth transmitter for iPhone.

Howdy, Out of curosity concerning your question, I just tried a Jabra GN1110 (2.5 mm plug with a Radioshack 2.5mm to 3.5 mm adapter) on my mp3 player's 3.5 mm headphone jack. I paired this with a Motorola HS820 headset. This combo worked fine for having single ear monophonic sound. The part number I got off the Web (

dsp=30101&iid=13300&itemskuid=13300&pcr=1:150#tabs) refers to the current model since I have a model purchased several years and it doesn't have the part number written on it. So, the answer to your question appears to be yes.

Happy Holidays from another Larry

----- Original Message ----- From: "User" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Newsgroups: alt.cellular.bluetooth Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:26 AM Subject: Re: Transmitting audio over BT to non-A2DP headset

Bowen