Blow Your Mind - You are using your canopener wrong

It seems that most of us hold the can opener perpendicular (vertical) to th e can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wrong meth od.

That looks a lot cleaner. It also grabs the lid and eliminates potential cu ts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to grab the lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

The lid can be disposed of by simply opening the can opener over the garbag e can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

The can may have some wrinkled edges, but the cut is smooth and poses littl e danger of cuts.

I wish I had known about this a long time ago. After cutting myself many ti mes on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solves the problem.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Terrified? That sounds extreme. A little blood is no big deal.

I don't think I've opened a can in a decade at least. Well, I do sometimes pull the tab on a mini-Coke can to make a rum+coke.

The little ones are good. Just enough for one drink. They stay fizzy without a lot of waste.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I like mine with a big glass, takes a big can. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It seems that most of us hold the can opener perpendicular (vertical) to the can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wrong method.

That looks a lot cleaner. It also grabs the lid and eliminates potential cuts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to grab the lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

The lid can be disposed of by simply opening the can opener over the garbage can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

The can may have some wrinkled edges, but the cut is smooth and poses little danger of cuts.

I wish I had known about this a long time ago. After cutting myself many times on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solves the problem. =============================================================================================

That method also lets you use a regular can opener to open the oil filter from a car engine to check for debris without using a hacksaw and getting lots of chips into the filter, or use tin snips and making a mess. For cans I prefer the type that actually has a horizontal blade that breaks the solder joint, no sharp edges on lid or can and no blade touching the can contents. I like the OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener for myself since I don't have counter space for an electric one.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Brilliant (not)! Instead of a sharp lid, which you get rid of in the recycling, you end up with a sharp CAN, which slices the hell out of you while getting the contents out of the can. I really DO NOT see this as an improvement. We put all the can lids into a can and never see the sharp edges again. With this method, the cans stay sharp all the time, and shred your garbage or recycling containers.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

the can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wrong m ethod.

cuts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to grab the lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

bage can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

ttle danger of cuts.

times on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solves the problem.

Show your wife. She knows what lid cuts are like.

If you have kids, save them the agony of learning.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

g method.

Try it. I was surprised. The edge on the can is very smooth. Almost impossi ble to cut yourself with it.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

ong method.

up

sible to cut yourself with it.

There's a whole new breed of can openers that use a side cut instead of a t op cut. They are known as ?safety,? ?safe-cut,? ?? or ?smooth-edge? openers.

s-are-a-cut-above

Reply to
Steve Wilson

We don't eat out of cans.

Agony? A little blood?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Check your cupboard.

You live a sheltered life. Ever get a paper cut? Lids are much worse.

You can even buy can openers that advertise no sharp edges. They do a side cut.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

torsdag den 16. august 2018 kl. 19.14.18 UTC+2 skrev Steve Wilson:

the can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wrong me thod.

cuts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to grab t he lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

age can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

tle danger of cuts.

times on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solves t he problem.

how do you manage to use a knife if a can lid is so dangerous?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well, the cat sometimes has dinner from a can. We don't eat cat food.

Oh, the horror!

It's unfair to bring kids into a world that has paper.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You could fall on a plastic spoon and die.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

o the can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wrong method.

l cuts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to grab the lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

rbage can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

ittle danger of cuts.

y times on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solves the problem.

People cut themselves with knives. Restaurant workers often end up in the E R with serious cuts.

The lid catches you off guard. With the conventional opening technique, the lid falls down inside the can. You have to try to fish it out with a knife . Now you have two sharp edges you are working with.

There is no easy way to grab the lid. It is circular and has no handle. It is sharp all around, unlike a knife. You may have other things going on in the kitchen that demand your attention. A moments distraction can deliver a serious cut. The cuts are ragged and painful.

Cans are wonderful. You can get a complete range of foods, vegetables, soup s and stews. Side opening virtually eliminates the risk of opening them.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

torsdag den 16. august 2018 kl. 23.24.04 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

baked beans, peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, canned tuna ..

though these days many have lids that you pull off rather than use an opener

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Top or side cutting, it's still a rather crude method of opening a can. However, if you live in a man cave and have the right technology, can opening is quick and easy: "How To Open a Can Without a Can Opener Perfect Soup Can Opener Are You an Eastwood Guy?" (0:45)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

torsdag den 16. august 2018 kl. 23.42.47 UTC+2 skrev Steve Wilson:

to the can. But as you?ll see in the video below, that is the wron g method.

ial cuts trying to remove the lid. There are can openers with magnets to gr ab the lid, but they are messy and still pose a risk of cuts.

garbage can. The edges are smooth and pose no danger of cuts.

little danger of cuts.

any times on sharp can lids, I am always terrified to open a can. This solv es the problem.

ER with serious cuts.

they also use knives all the time all day long

he lid falls down inside the can. You have to try to fish it out with a kni fe. Now you have two sharp edges you are working with.

don't open the lid all the way, leave it attached to the can and pour out t he content

t is sharp all around, unlike a knife. You may have other things going on i n the kitchen that demand your attention. A moments distraction can deliver a serious cut. The cuts are ragged and painful.

if you can't pay attention for the half second it take to get stuff out of a can how do you manage to do anything remotely dangerous?

ups and stews. Side opening virtually eliminates the risk of opening them.

sure plenty of good stuff in cans, but they are not death traps no matter h ow you open them

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Beans? From a can? Years old? Beans are too important to do that.

We just did a batch of mixed red kidneys, borlottis, and canelloni beans with home-made chicken broth, anduille sausage and bacon, fresh onions and celery and garlic, and seasonings that I will not reveal.

And canned soup? Yuk!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Are you afraid of electricity too?

I've had interns who were afraid of a digital circuit that was obviously only connected to a 5 volt power supply.

I theorized that I could touch anything on my new 1200 volt pulse generator. So I did, and it didn't hurt.

All of which taste like can.

I hated most vegetables, like asparagus and peas and such, when I was a kid, because my mom got them out of cans. When I moved to California, I discovered that fresh stuff tastes completely different.

Canned broth is salty slop.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

agreed, but plenty of other things are fine