BLEduino - Gone for Good?

I can't find any responses to questions asked in the forum. There seems to be no way to buy these. The only sign of life is that there are posts that people got the boards they paid for through kick starter.

You wouldn't think they would let this die. It seems worthwhile and potentially profitable.

This sort of device is perfect for a prototype I am building. I haven't found any others like it, MCU married to the bluetooth function.

Also, anyone know if bluetooth can be peer to peer or if it is like USB in that one end has to be master and the other slave? I'm talking about hardware. If the only difference between the two ends is software it doesn't matter to me. I just want to have two MCUs talking over a virtual serial port connection.

I found RFduino and that seems to be right up the alley. Some of the documentation is a bit odd though. They show code examples of

*functions* which appear to be used like a variable.

RFduinoBLE.send() is a function. Here is their example.

RFduinoBLE.send = (myarray, 5); //Sends a character array called myarray with a length of 5

Is this something in C that I missed? Or maybe they aren't using C?

--

Rick
Reply to

Den fredag den 27. februar 2015 kl. 21.43.04 UTC+1 skrev rickman:

I think that should be RFduinoBLE.send(myarray,5);

bluetooth master/slave is just whoever initiates the connection

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well, yes, but they repeat this all through their examples, so it is not a simple typo.

I was reading about the commonly available bluetooth modules on eBay etc. The doc for the HC-05 says it can be master or slave under user control while the HC-06 can be one or the other, selected at the factory. Is this just a limitation of that product?

--

Rick
Reply to

I believe it is just a different firmware with a limited AT command set

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There are heresies where the piconets are more sophisticated than a designated master.

That should be easy. This link is just an example; haven't tried these particular units.

I recall these kind of things being sort of unreliable. Didn't spend much time on it; it didn't "work" and we went back to cables.

That's not 'C'.

You can have "callback" in a struct in 'C'.

typedef struct { int (*compar)(const void *, const void*) } mySortinAh;

int x(const void *a,const void *b) { .... return 0; }

mySortinAh.compar = x;

qsort(...,mySortinAh.compar...);

I didn't even try to compile that; there may be some whinging from the compiler you'll need to address.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

The Arduino environment is a subset of C++; "send()" is a method of the class RFdunioBLE. That being said, using assignment to actually do something like send the array in this line:

RFduinoBLE.send = (myarray, 5);

is a rather obtuse use of the language - I'm not sure exactly how they're implementing that but I wouldn't do it that way. Functions are overloadable in C++, you just need to define multiple methods in the class with the same name and different arguments and the compiler will figure it out, so you could have one "send" method for single characters, one for arrays, etc.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks. The other thing I have asked them about is that they use the Arduino environment for programming their modules, but they use an ARM processor. I thought Arduinos were all ARMs, no? Is the actual compiler a separate part of the overall package?

--

Rick
Reply to

rray

the real and original Arduino is a dinky little 8bit AVR processor, the one s with an ARM is not an Arduino just sorta compatible The Arduino environment is basically an IDE, libraries (sketches it think t hey call it) and a bootloader, the compiler is GCC

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So you are suggesting the libraries are source and can be compiled for any CPU. I think there are still differences that would require different libraries as the different processors have very different peripherals. I guess I'll see how it works when I download the software. I can do that before I order the hardware and see if it makes sense. The hardware would be perfect if it had a few more I/Os. The little modules only offer 6, I need about 12, so an I/O expander is in my future. I'll have to add a power circuit so there has to be a mother board anyway.

--

Rick
Reply to

WOW, talk about wishful thinking !!

Yes

A simple google search would have prevented you from making a stupid^H^H^H^H^Hilly statement.

Reply to
hamilton

Look on Ebay. There are modules ranging from the digispark which is less powerful than an Arduino Uno and range up to ARM's. Prices run from about $2.60 for the digispark to about $6.50 for a module with an ARM.

The IDE has a bunch of different boards. So you declare the processor and it loads the right library.

eBay item number:

391003167887

eBay item number:

390966031687

eBay item number:

371181775651

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks, but I'm not looking to buy an Arduino. I'm looking at a board which claims to work with the tool set but has an ARM CPU on it rather than an AVR. The AVRs will all use the same peripherals with some relatively small differences, no? But an ARM will be a whole new gear and maybe need overdrive... lol. You get what I mean, right? I'm wondering what part of the tools are retained and I'm not sure where the other stuff comes from to work with an ARM and the ARM peripherals.

--

Rick
Reply to

Sorry, I meant AVRs.

No, there is nothing to prevent stupid statements.... lol It was a typo... Now, do you have anything useful to say?

--

Rick
Reply to

he ones with an ARM is not an Arduino just sorta compatible

hink they call it) and a bootloader, the compiler is GCC

es

er

ss powerful than an Arduino Uno and range up to ARM's. Prices run from abo ut $2.60 for the digispark to about $6.50 for a module with an ARM.

nd it loads the right library.

afaui the libraries are open source and come in different flavors for diffe rent processors sometimes with extra features depending on the peripherals, the IDE should take care of all that picking the right one if it is an ardu ino compatible thing

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

My previous message may not have been clear. Earlier I mistakenly typed ARM when I meant to say AVR. The RFduino uses an ARM processor. The Arudinos use AVR processors. I expect there will be huge differences in the libraries. I guess I'll have to find out about that from RFduino. I sent them an email on Friday and they said they would forward it to support. At this point I'm not hopeful since I emailed it to snipped-for-privacy@rfduino.com. I would think that would go directly to support, lol. But we'll see. If it is a day or two turnaround this will be a painful process.

--

Rick
Reply to

the ones with an ARM is not an Arduino just sorta compatible

think they call it) and a bootloader, the compiler is GCC

or

akes

in

ther

less powerful than an Arduino Uno and range up to ARM's. Prices run from a bout $2.60 for the digispark to about $6.50 for a module with an ARM.

and it loads the right library.

he

ifferent processors sometimes with extra features depending on the peripher als,

arduino compatible thing

you are over complicating this, it's called duino so it'll have the libraries that makes it work like an arduino for the devices it supports. Just donwload the code from rfduino and use the example as a starting point

The libraries is an abstraction layer so that a 10yo can stack some boards, and hack away at some code found on the internet and get things to sorta wo rk

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You haven't? How about the Blend Micro?

Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
Reply to
Torfinn Ingolfsen

Arduinos were traditionally AVR8's but now there are some ARM models.

One of the Arduino easy-for-newbies features was they were programmed with something called sketches, a graphical tool or DSL for embedded controllers. I'm not sure exactly how it worked (I never used it) but it apparently produced C code, that then wiggled the CPU's control wires by calling a certain API that the toolkit supplied.

So when boards like the Arduino claim Arduino capability, I think it means they ship a library that implements that C-callable API, so you can use the Sketch tool to produce C programs which you then compile with a C compiler for that board's CPU. It doesn't mean you can move binaries from AVR arduinos to the ARM boards.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Too early, need coffee :)

The above was supposed to say: when boards like the RFDuino claim Arduino compatibility...

Reply to
Paul Rubin

"Blend Micro runs as BLE peripheral role only"

Thanks for the link, but I need units to talk to each other.

--

Rick
Reply to