BING is crap

What's going on? I see a lot of web sites that have keywords highlighted, and if I accidentally mouse over one, an idiotic Bing search box pops up, and you have to click a tiny x to make it go away and keep reading.

Has Microsoft decided to obliterate whatever tiny amount of goodwill that they may have left?

John

It's triggered by a Javascript onmouseover() command on some sites. Turn off Javascript.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Irritating piece of shit isn't it? I especially appreciate how it comes with IE and if you don't remove it, it tries to hijack every google search that you do. I don't even use IE anymore; always use Firefox if I can.

Reply to
coldfeet

One trick that sometimes seems to work is to click "Stop" on the browser the millisecond the text on a page has finished loading. Util they find out more people are doing that and load the crap first.

Maybe some day they'll get sued by the company that had the name Bing since the year 1866:

They make carburetors for things like BMW motorcycles.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Sure, but some manufacturer sites don't work without it anymore because the script kiddies have made it into the marketing departments :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Surf with Opera and set its default to disable javascript and embedded content (i.e., flash) as well as to discard all cookies when closing the browser. Once that's set, you have the option on a site-by-site basis of permitting javascript or flash or persistent cookies.

Much less junk (no Bing popups-- first I'd heard of this little annoyance) and also less vulnerability to a drive-by infection when hitting a new site.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I haven't noticed any "Bing" problems when using Firefox, but I block everything initially, then allow what I want. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Bing Is No Good (recursive definition).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

q! ^d

t :!QUIT

lpquit ^D

The problem with this approach is you'll run into sites that need Javascript to run right, or sites that you'll want to have Javascript. You can't have a unique browswer setting for every web page you hit. That's 100% stupid. Oh, we are talking Microsoft here, my mistake...

If you truly want to get pissed off, try sticking with IE6. In IE6, you can't even turn Bing off. You MUST upgrade. And of course, when you do that, (like IE8), some sites that used to work fine, no longer do. And then, IE8 is "much" slower to initialize and run.

I'd roll back if a) it weren't for Bing, and b) if rolling back didn't have even worse consequences!!

Reply to
mpm

Thanks John!! Now that I think about it, you've inadvertently made me feel pretty good about a project we're working on. It's obvious our idea is a game-changer for a certain industry, but everyone seems to be "radio-silent" about our solution. (What they should be doing is lining up to take it off our hands!)

Your comments remind me that big companies OFTEN make stupid mistakes! Like trying to ignore the 800-pound gorilla in the corner!

Guess I'll sleep well tonight....!!!

Reply to
mpm

You could disable that behavior by disabling javascript globally, or just on that page with firefox and the noscript extension.

Better yet, turn away from the dark side and use google.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Yup. This should be the first thing installed after the browser:

JeffM

I'm sure MS thinks of it as:

BING Is Not Google

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I do use Firefox and google. But some sites insist on popping up the bing box. I guess I'll just bail as soon as I see that happen. I bet Microsoft is paying them to do this, to promote Bing.

BING = Bing Is Not Google.

John

Modern browsers allow you to turn it on only for selectred sites.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Perhaps the OP doesn't know that internet explorer isn't a modern browser?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I also have been seeing this junk more often; thought it was just me..

Reply to
Robert Baer

MS abomination, moving mouse over such text is a nightmare.

TheM

Firefox, NoScript, Adblock Plus, OptimizeGoogle, and a bit of playing around with selective blocking of cookies make it a largely painless experience. And not just for Google either.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

'internet explorer' is a toy for bad programmers to show how bright they aren't. There is all kinds of crap in 'internet explorer' that is less than useless.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to