Bill, you are ruined.

Bill, no one cares about how great you think you might have been, because you've given us nothing to put your standard on our flag but bitterness and failure.

Look at Larkin; he's got serious customers who're willing to spend big bucks in order to engage him to fulfill their dreams, and he follows through and wins.

And you?

You kvetch.

Then look at Dr. Hobbs.

You try to discredit him by pretending that you know more than he does, and yet you display a paucity of knowledge which you pretend to own.

--
JF
Reply to

I wonder what that sentence was intended to mean. My claims to fame - such as they are - aren't recent, but they are respectable.

I'm well aware of that. He seldom misses an opportunity to remind us that he has customers. He also tells us that he does insanely good design work, which is getting to be difficult to believe, granting the rather limited grasp of electronics that he reveals here.

You need to get back to the remedial English classes. You haven't really mastered complex sentences yet.

I don't try to discredit Phil Hobbs. It would be an impracticable project. He knows a lot, and it shows. He does have an unfortunate tendency to want to be seen as an infallible expert, which has lead him to some rather unfortunate choices of words - he recently claimed that compact layout can "get rid" of thermocouple voltages, when it can only reduce them to acceptable levels, as he admitted when pushed.

What he meant - of course - was "get rid of for all practical purposes" - but he wanted a simpler, punchier, sentence, and neglected to consider that the simpler sentence happened to be wrong.

And where has my paucity of knowledge been shown up recently? And how?

We do know that you have as much difficulty in parsing complex sentences as you have in constructing them, so I'm really asking what you've recently managed to misunderstand, in the hope that I'll be able to show you up with a few amusingly satirical complex sentences.

You've probably got too much sense to rise to the bait. but I can hope.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Bait should be attractive, and hope springs eternal.
Reply to