Bill Sloman's Idol

And why is that ? Could it be that because corporates were enabled to rape them because of the lack of jobs and people were working for half what they 're worth ?

hetoric is as common among righty-wingnuts as it is brain-damaged. "

Prove that.

ne fumes prior to the lousy greens/state of California suggesting it might not be good for you. "

Lead was not removed form the fuel because of any inhalation issues. It was because it was incompatible with the new catalytic convertors on cars.

I got another issue with that, they say that eating lead paint chips made k ids stupid. I want to know just how much nurturing, interaction and teachin g is going on when the Parents do not notice their KID EATING PAINT OFF THE WALL ! Yeah, they had every advantage in the world but for that nasty plum bum. BULLSHIT. Those kids are stupid because nobody taught them anything. A nd what else were they eating other than the paint on the walls ? The incu bator has no clue and the sire is probably out frolicking with the other fe male animals.

Reply to
jurb6006

I mean if there were no EPA and no Clean Air Act there wouldn't be any catalytic converters, either. High-performance catalytic converters took a while to develop AFAIK many cars were still using smog pumps well into the 1980s.

I notice old cars from the 50s, 60s reek like unburned fuel (apparently this is normal operation) which makes them seem more "real" in some sense than the sanitized econo-boxes of today and can be fun to experience at the car show but I don't think I'd have liked to live with that constantly.

I drove a 1980s Plymouth Horizon recently all those 80s cars are somewhat before my time I never really got to drive any of 'em., my '17 Volt feels like a car 100 years more advanced, not 30. Real seat-of-your pants kind of stuff like flying a WW1 biplane.

Reply to
bitrex

a while to develop AFAIK many cars were still using smog pumps well into th e 1980s. "

Thing is the cat runs on fuel. That smell was a bit of sulfur in the fuel p rocessed by the cat. They have eliminated most of the sulfur out of the fue l so it is not as big a problem. What you smell now is mostly water vapor.

Interestingly, they have to detune the engine to keep the cat lit.

his is normal operation) which makes them seem more "real" in some sense th an the sanitized econo-boxes of today and can be fun to experience at the c ar show but I don't think I'd have liked to live with that constantly."

We didn't. the reason you smell that is because people set up older cars to idle very rich. that puts more gas in the manifold at any given time so th at when sudden acceleration was needed the accelerator pump didn't have to shoot as much, or of it did it was more fuel to burn and thus faster car.

When the engine is running at stoichiometry you smell nothing. In fact back then there was no test to check the cat efficiency. This is because there would have to be hydrocarbons in the raw exhaust, with a stoichiometric air fuel ratio there should be none except if there is a problem with timing, like too late so it is not done burning when it comes out. Cam timing can c ause that as well, and cam design is a BIG BIG thing. It is one of the most important things for the performance of a car engine. the shape of the lob es as well as the overlap, and then there is the timing. Porsche I think ca me out with the first variable valve timing back around the time Ford owned them. (or was that another company ?) My Uncle told me a guy from there wa lked into their board meeting with this thing that looked like a flying sau cer and was told it is the top timing gear. that was mechanical VVT.

Now it is electronically controlled and they now even have dual cams, intak e and exhaust, the timing of which are controlled independently. I have exp erimented with valve timing and I know what it can do for a car. It wasn't easy but I wanted to know. I am from a car family. I wanted to know. Guess what happens.

Now the best of them have dual VVT and direct cylinder injection. The latte r only minimises the need to preload the manifold with fuel when when hard acceleration is called for. It is a bit more efficient, and the system does n't have to adjust to barometric pressure as much. (AS MUCH)

they've come a long way and for certain applications the ICE will stick aro und. I would like to see them run an army tank off electricity, or how abou t AF-1 ? It is coming and soon, but it just ain't here yet. And when electr ic is REALLY viable, the big three had better be ready for it or they are d ust.

But thew problem of course id the same, you have to tell some people everyt hing and you can tell some people anything.

Reply to
jurb6006

If tax rates don't affect business growth or employment, why not make them 150%? Then we could hire even more government employees and reduce unemployment.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Simpler: get most government revenue from a visible point-of-sale sales tax, and eliminate taxes on company profits.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is not actually correct. Even if the fuel mixture is perfectly balanc ed and the timing is perfect (well, as perfect as such a goofy contraption as an ICE can be) you will still have unburned hydrocarbons. The cylinder walls are cool enough that they quench the flame from propagating completel y to the surrounding envelope of the engine and some air/fuel mixture remai ns unburnt no matter what. This is what the catalytic converter is there t o deal with.

ything and you can tell some people anything.

And you can tell some people nothing.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

philosophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore."

social engineering on billionaires the same tools that work on the proleta riat are ineffective.

unless a good faith effort is made to find a domestic supplier. It is not r eally different than a tariff BUT, if they had started that 20 years ago we would not have the problems we have now.

Just as corporations love tax loopholes, if sales tax gets too high people find ways to skirt the tax. I think I read the problem gets really bad at rates a bit larger than 10%.

Why eliminate the corporate tax? If you like the sales tax, how about if w e extend it to everything. Then the rate won't have to be so high. So all the materials you buy to put in your products will be sales taxed.

It's not based on profit and it's the same across the board so it's fair to all companies. It's completely visible. So nothing to complain about. S ince it is tax before profits essentially, it will actually hit you harder though. But I guess that depends on how much of your costs are labor.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

And don't appreciate how much of their work is facilitated by government services that their taxes pay for.

Trumps tax cuts put the US federal budget firmly into deficit, just as it recovered from the trailing end of the great recession.

What Trump should have done was to assault the big company tax evasion which you recognise, but don't seem to imagine can be rolled back.

The EU and Australia can manage that - at least to some extent - but Trump didn't even try (probably because it would have cost him money).

The US tax system is riddled with tax loopholes, and Congress is infested with very expensive lobbyists whose main business is writing more of them into every bill that gets passed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

uld no longer

oyees

ons, and no

ith professional

m of the market',

John Larkin has been listening to James Arthur again. Reductio ad adsurdum doesn't work well when the idea you are effectively supporting - here suppl y side economics - is demonstrably absurd . Reagan did the demonstration ba ck in the 1980's, and his intellectual heirs keep on hoping that it will wo rk better when they try again.

It doesn't.

Tax rates do affect business growth and employment, but so does government spending. Neither Donald Trump nor John Larkin can be bothered to get their heads around the complicated reality - mainly because they haven't got the attention span required.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

philosophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore."

social engineering on billionaires the same tools that work on the proleta riat are ineffective.

unless a good faith effort is made to find a domestic supplier. It is not r eally different than a tariff BUT, if they had started that 20 years ago we would not have the problems we have now.

Works for the French, but it's regressive, and the less-well off don't like it. Whence the irritated French people in high-visibility yellow jackets.

They haven't got irritated enough - yet - to start chopping the heads off t he well-off as they did in 1793.

Somebody like John Larkin - who pulls down more than the US median income - naturally finds the tax proposal attractive. He might not enjoy the social unrest that might follow.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Any time you'd like to start making sense, we're ready.

lunatic fringe electronics

The effect of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline on the intelligence of kids that grew up near heavily used roads is pretty well known.

The news may not have got to John Larkin yet, but when it does he will find that bitrex is making perfect sense, though John is unlikely to admit it - his self-image issues do seem to make it difficult for him to admit that he's got anything wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

nced and the timing is perfect (well, as perfect as such a goofy contraptio n as an ICE can be) you will still have unburned hydrocarbons. "

I had two cars, well one was the olman's and I just borrowed it for a coupl e years, you could not smell them run a all. Also, both were at one time sa ns exhaust system and you still couldn't hear them run at idle.

The only two cars I ever saw like that and they were both Oldsmobiles, one

1970 with a big block, the other 1971 with a small block. Uncanny, and did they run. The big block one was one of my Vette gitters. (only small block Vettes, I couldn't take the 454s)

Also, though I did nothing to either of those engines, when I set up a carb you can get in with zero degree weather and it starts with one pump. You c ould drive within a minute. Setting it was not fast, I literally had to let it get cold and warm it up a couple times. Doesn't make it difficult, just time consuming.

I will admit that most people never had a car that ran that good, the rest of mine didn't, though they always ran right. I can't stand a car that does n't run right, people drove around with two dead cylinders and blowing oil like the Exxon Valdez, I could never do that.

If the ignition timing is sufficiently advanced those gases will have a cha nce to burn more fully. Some of that happens after the exhaust valve opens which doesn't add to the output of the engine but does assist in the "scave nging" action of certain exhaust systems. For the unaware, that is when the inertial of the gases flying through the exhaust creates a partial vacuum in the other cylinders. This occurs in the exhaust manifold and works bette r with headers.

By George I think we've done it. Made Usenet history again. Hijacked a tota lly off topic topic.

Just to get back on track here, does anyone remember what the 14 topics of this thread were supposed to be ?

Oh, that silent big block I had, I had the same model and year but the high er performance version and you couldn't hear anything else even at idle whe n it had no exhaust system. The only thing I can think of that would accoun t for that is the camshaft. The higher performance cam was probably lobed s o the VE really kicks in at a higher RPM and the peak torque and HP specs s eem to bear that out. Either of them could tear the asphalt off the street. I think they were pretty fast enough, I kept the higher performance one, a nd it still had a passing gear at 105MPH. Even then there was nowhere you c ould drive t hat fast. (well ummm, you COULD but if you get caught you'll n eed bail money)

Reply to
jurb6006

I f***ed that up, it should read "you CAN'T tell some people anything"

Reply to
jurb6006

Which proves my theory that liberals think correlation equals causation. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Reply to
jurb6006

When it suits their agenda.

lunatic fringe electronics

The studies did find extra lead in the blood of the kids affected.

Other ways of getting high levels of lead in the body seem to lead to lead to low intelligence test scores.

More lead in the body leads to more dramatic damage.

Precisely what low levels of lead poisoning do to damage people isn't clear, but since higher levels do cause more damage, we don't seem to be looking at correlation without causation here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

that grew up near heavily used roads is pretty well known. "

John Larkin's agenda on climate change involves seeing the correlation betw een a rising level of CO2 in the atmosphere and a rising average global tem perature as something other than a cause and effect relationship.

Physicists have long since worked out the cause and effect relationship, bu t denialist propaganda spreads confusion and doubt among people who don't u nderstand much physics.

The fact that a high concentration of lead in the human body cause all kind s unfortunate symptoms does suggest that lower concentrations can have equa lly unfortunate - if less dramatic effects.

People who made money out of synthesising lead tetraethyl and selling it to gasoline companies have an obvious motive to deny that the low level lead poisoning observed in kids who live near freeways is actually doing any dam age, and gullible twits like John Larkin and Jurb will believe them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This is where sheeple don't get it. Remember dihydrogen monoxide ?

So there is lead. The lead content is correlated with stunted development. Who says it causes that ? who says that lead instead of the developmental e ffects, instead affects their say, sexual development ? Can YOU say that ? Go ahead and claim it. We would have a real good time. So lead affects the brain, so does LSD, it increases seratonin. Now they sell drugs ion TV to b oost seratonin here.

Can you give the exact chemical reaction of the lead based chemicals' speci fic effect on the specific intellectual capacity of the individual ? No, th ey said these stupid kids have lead so it must be the lead.

And "where there was more use of lead laden fuels" to paraphase, there were so many other pollutants in the air it ain't funny. AND NOW!, tell me if t his is conclusive fact, how come some of these kids came out of the ghetto and succeeded in life. Was it that their Parents fed them and they didn't e at the paint off the walls or that they watched them and didn't let them ea t the paint off the walls. What evidence do you, or anyone really have that proves it one way or the other ?

The only people who might {POSSIBLY have any data worth considering would b e among the top bio-chemistsd in the world who could tel;l us that these ox ides or whatever of lead affect this and that part of the brain by poisonin g the process by which whatever... You got evidence like that ? If so I am here.

See, in most cases I have no problem with their data, it is their conclusio ns which I believe leave much to be desired.

How EXACTLY does lead inhibit the neural structure's development and/or ope ration ? Which of the strnge-ic acids or whatever the brain uses is damaged by lead compounds ? AND HOW ?

I am NOT saying to feed the kids lead. I am saying that they have not REALL Y done the homework and like many other things use statistical data to "pro ve" their point. Well that doesn't cut it for me bucko.

Reply to
jurb6006

Well, most folk who study heavy-metal poisoning.

Now, tell me why you think it ISN'T causing growth and development problems. For safety, we're removing lead from childhood ingestibles/inhalables until an alternate scenario is well-established. Mumbling about sheeple won't suffice.

'Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd'.

Reply to
whit3rd