Bill Sloman's Idol

A "philanthropist" (according to CNN and the BBC) speaks:

"I am basically here to make money. I cannot and do not look at the
social consequences of what I do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWizajL7tA

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

It's Cursitor Doom who goes in for idolatry - it's not my thing at all.

George Soros is a bit more thoughtful than the average money trader - mch more thoughtful (and much more successful) than my nephew who is in the same business (but obviously on a much smaller scale), and he has even written a couple of books.

https://www.amazon.com/George-Soros/e/B000AP7F58

I've even bought and read one of them, but wasn't wildly impressed - it was all sensible, but not exactly revelatory.

There are right-wing conspiracy theories about George Soros

https://www.ft.com/content/e2a1ecb0-dc0d-11e8-9f04-38d397e6661c

but they are silly enough that only twits like Cursitor Doom could take them seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 09:20:58 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Oh, I read that as "Bill Sloman's idle."

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol
And s.e.c. is the devil's workshop?

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

An understandable mistake. Either interpretation is equally valid.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Well, with the apostrophe it can be taken as a possessive but I am not sure that is totally correct. (have to ask Ma) But as a statement it is incorrect.

If you take it as a contraction of "Sloman is" that would mean he is idle. That would explain a few things...

I've seen plenty worse in this group of supposedly highly educated individuals, but then Einstein wore two different color socks they say...

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Or equally invalid. In fact, since I am under-employed which is why I have
time to waste on pointing up John Larkin's character defects and Cursitor D
oom's factual errors, the claim that I am idle has more validity - though n
ot much more - than the claim that I have any idols (which I don't).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Get a job you bum.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

I apply for one every week or so, but the interest in hiring 76-year-olds is vanishingly small. I have to settle for editing the NSW IEEE three-per-year newsletters, which isn't all that time-consuming.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

And he is vain enough that he thinks we need to know that.

I prefer to phrase it as "Bill Sloman is underemployed".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Or "Employment deprived" ;_)

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Perhaps there is a government program for him.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 12:42:55 +0800, Rheilly Phoull

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Offer me some work, and find out how employment averse (note the spelling) I actually am.

Jim Thompson isn't around any more to persuade you that it would be a bad idea.

Phil Hobbs might be willing to take over doing your thinking for you there.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

I did that once a long time ago. The clipping tracked the amplitude.
That gave a lot of what the sound people called "sustain." It was
marketed as "Bell Tone" because it made a guitar sound kind of bell-y.

Dang, I've done a lot of weird stuff.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

The big public stock-exchange companies hardly paid taxes. They have
armies of tax lawyers and accountants and stash gigabucks of untaxed
earnings offshore. And stash jobs offshore. Those guys are in your
portfolio.

The huge impact of the tax cut is on small businesses that do pay all
their taxes and create jobs in the USA and deposit their earnings in a
neighborhood bank branch.

Lots of other changes could create more jobs here; the federal tax cut
is just a small example of what's possible.

Of course, this kind of thinking only appeals to people who work.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Direct tax-cut stimulated job creation is very old-school supply-side
philosophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore. How
many small businesses (15 people or fewer) had their taxes cut enough
such that they could afford to pay a full-tine salary to even a single
new hire?

In any case it would be retarded to hire on anyone new tax cut or no
unless product demand required it - was demand for scientific electronic
widgets of the fashion you do way way up the moment these cuts were passed?

Tax cuts to small businesses tend to go mostly into management/owner's
bank account to be spent on investments, real estate, luxury homes n
condos, sports cars and vacations to Hawaii and stuff.

"Manufacturing" and "wholesale trade" have seen modest gains since
November 2016 but two of the biggest gainers outside mining/logging
(which doesn't employ that many people to begin with) are
construction/leisure hospitality. Grunt work.

The construction industry is not constructing much new warehouses or
shipping terminals or factories or railroads either it's constructing
high-end residential properties/condoes/real estate speculation-type stuff.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol
losophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore."

That's because it has never been properly applied in the US. If you want so
cial engineering on billionaires the same tools that work on the proletaria
t are ineffective.

I have long advocated a tax code by which imported gods are taxed twice unl
ess a good faith effort is made to find a domestic supplier. It is not real
ly different than a tariff BUT, if they had started that 20 years ago we wo
uld not have the problems we have now.

Anyone who wants to criticise Trump's methods, come up with a better plan.
Go ahead, you think you're smart enough (all) to judge his actions then how
 about some constructive criticism ? That which offers a better course of a
ction. I was taught to always make criticism positive and helpful rather th
an just being a bitch. I do NOT always succeed, and at times it is not poss
ible.

Oh, and listening to "experts" ? Experts are what got us to the brink of th
ird world status.

Figure out a better way to fix that. I am all ears. Put up or shut up.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol

Simpler: get most government revenue from a visible point-of-sale
sales tax, and eliminate taxes on company profits.

Re: Bill Sloman's Idol
philosophy not even most Conservative economists espouse anymore."
 social engineering on billionaires the same tools that work on the proleta
riat are ineffective.
unless a good faith effort is made to find a domestic supplier. It is not r
eally different than a tariff BUT, if they had started that 20 years ago we
 would not have the problems we have now.

Just as corporations love tax loopholes, if sales tax gets too high people
find ways to skirt the tax.  I think I read the problem gets really bad at
rates a bit larger than 10%.

Why eliminate the corporate tax?  If you like the sales tax, how about if w
e extend it to everything.  Then the rate won't have to be so high.  So all
 the materials you buy to put in your products will be sales taxed.

It's not based on profit and it's the same across the board so it's fair to
 all companies.  It's completely visible.  So nothing to complain about.  S
ince it is tax before profits essentially, it will actually hit you harder
though.  But I guess that depends on how much of your costs are labor.

Rick C.

Site Timeline