Big Boo-Boo on 950 tons of bridge

Original installation completed, they thought they were so clever:

Now this- ugly:

Structural failures are all runaway, much worse than electronics.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Reminds me of the freeway in Oakland that had won architectural awards for the elegance of its supports. And pancaked in the '89 earthquake.

 Click to see the full signature

But it wasn't put up in an afternoon. Amazing. Someone has some splainin' to do.

Reply to
krw

The bridge didn't fail... the support structure on one end failed ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Airplanes don't crash, either. They just have hard landings. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Why do doctors call their professional offices "practice" ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Because they're only licensed to practice.

Reply to
krw

"practice" ?>:-}

I had an amazing operation on my heart, 15 years ago, that was called an "electrophysiology study".

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I've had three, with ablations on the left atrium (they have to poke through from the right), an AV ablation and pacemaker implanted, all in the last 18 months. I've had a lot of work done on my heart (CABG w/MAZE three years ago and I stopped counting cardioversions) but what amazes me is my granddaughter. She had open heart surgery (aorta and pulmonary arteries were swapped) when she was two days old. She's now three and you would never know. She's a perfectly normal "little terrorist" (her dad's words).

Reply to
krw

Because Americans can't spel and therefore don't know the difference between practice and practise. See second answer: or:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There's talk about adjusting the camber, but given that it's pretty much rigid, I can't see how that would be possible. Anyway, it wasn't finished, there's a pylon and cable stays to be added later.

I expect there's footage somewhere of when it collapsed. Just need to wait.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Reply to
bitrex

-------------------------------

** All seems OK at first, then a small, preliminary failure triggering more and finally a sudden, intolerable failure.

Thermal runaway is very common in electronics, hot running parts tend to get hotter over time. Electros in a high temp environment are more leaky, rapidly lose electrolyte, next their ESR goes up and they soon fail completely - occasionally by exploding.

Low quality SMPS as used in CF lamps are a good example.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Any thoughts on what made this eBay special bench SMPS PSU fail?

I think it was just built broken, personally.

Reply to
bitrex

Apparently this "bridge in an afternoon" thing is considered innovative in the US. Here in the Netherlands, I would say most bridges are constructed this way, and also much lighter. 950 tons is a lot for such a relatively small footbridge.

Reply to
Rob

No. A video is now shown that clearly shows it breaking near one end and then falling off the support as a result.

Reply to
Rob

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 10:46:51 AM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

e/article204506084.html

e/article205316174.html

What is this with the US? They elect a know-very-little President, they can 't do gun control and have mass shootings at frequent intervals, and their bridges fall down. Trump was complaining about immigrants from shit-hole co untries, but a country would have to be in a pretty dire state - Syria come s to mind - to make the US an attractive destination.

Old bridge falling down for lack of maintenance is bad enough, but having a week-old bridge fall down is impressive.

Australia has similar story - I was in Mebourne when it happened, and we ma naged to hang a comic poster on the broken bridge.

The King Street bridge was opened in April 1961, and didn't collapse until July 1961, but that was because the constructor - Utah Australia - didn't r eally understand how to fabricate a bridge out of the high-tensile strength special steel chosen.

Even then, it didn't collapse far and didn't kill anybody at all, or even i njure anybody (though a few reputations got seriously mangled).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's what I'm seeing too. The underside gave way under tension, cracked c atastrophically and completely gave way near its support. And that caused t he opposite end to be pulled off its support allowing the majority of the b ridge to fall flat on the roadway.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

an't do gun control and have mass shootings at frequent intervals, and thei r bridges fall down. Trump was complaining about immigrants from shit-hole countries, but a country would have to be in a pretty dire state - Syria co mes to mind - to make the US an attractive destination.

a week-old bridge fall down is impressive.

managed to hang a comic poster on the broken bridge.

l July 1961, but that was because the constructor - Utah Australia - didn't really understand how to fabricate a bridge out of the high-tensile streng th special steel chosen.

injure anybody (though a few reputations got seriously mangled).

My guess is they made an error in allowance for concrete cure, so it was ac ting like more like a load than a support aggregate. There is instrumentati on available to make this determination with scientific certainty, but appa rently it is too much for some people:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Americans are overweight and heavy people.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred