Bifilar Wound Balun Transformer

Why would I care what you trust? Do you think the NIF paper was faked?

We did two systems for NIF, got some awards, made some money, learned an awful lot. That's what sometimes happens whan you DO stuff.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah. Okay. Keep your mouth open.

Reply to
John S

And you think you are? Go away and leave these professionals alone. At least they understand the subject whereas you don't even know your job function.

Reply to
John S

Well, we agree on this.

So, you spend more time experimenting than designing things yourself.

Get a calculator, paper, pencil, and some knowledge, and design something without a computer, imbecile. Nobody said you needed to use a computer. Most professionals here began designing without a computer.

Like you, right? People like you tend to join a crowd of similar people. That's why you are only tolerated here. Find your own crowd.

Of course. You are omnipotent.

Reply to
John S

Thanks, I'll try that

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I guess there's nothing stopping one from making a couple of gigahenry inductors coupled with K=1.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ch a

I think you meant omniscient. Which Jamie may believe - but only within the rather circumscribed universe of discourse - and the rest of us know to be quite a way from the truth.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e in

It seems most unlikely, but - accepting that the paper is honest - which I'm more than happy to do - all it says is that you were the supplier, and your gear worked well enough to be satisfactory in the application.

As you have mentioned here, when physicists publish about electronics, they usually have exaggerated ideas about how good their electronics is and how close it is to the state of the art. I've got a couple of comments in Review of Scientific Instruments that criticise particularly flagrant examples of this kind of defect.

I've noticed. That's one of the reasons why I'd like to do some more stuff, and why I'm frustrated by being confined to doing stuff I can afford which solves the kinds of problems that I can dream up without much help from the outside world. I learned a great deal when I was working on the Cambridge Instruments Electron Beam Tester, and I enjoyed the process.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

et

!

in

ns

That's the joy of simulation. You can test ideas that would cost a mint in superconducting wire and liquid helium if you wanted to try them out on the bench.

The are applications where that kind of expenditure on real parts might be justifiable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I get the idea that a simulator is the only source for any inclinations you come up with..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Speak for yourself, you hardly have enough energy in that singularity on your solders to think, let alone operate a keyboard and wipe your ass. You spend all your time searching the web for that black hole of yours to suck up in hopes that there is some shred of information you can use to mislead the public with great deception.

Don't be including the general public in your punitive deceitful appearance. Many here don't know any better, they are simple minded sheep lost in the propaganda orchestrated by the likes of you.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Professionals? If you only knew what one was.

Impersonation is more your style.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

After you imbecile.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Just for you slow-man.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

What more can one expect in life, but to do good work, to build things, and, with luck, be appreciated for it?

I think you could find companies that need someone who can understand their science and help them with the electronics. There's a lot of scientific gear out there that, as Phil says, needlessly throws away

30 dB of performance. (Remember the insane FTMS preamp I posted about here? Down 30 dB, but still better than Brand B, who tossed 40 dB.) It wouldn't be very hard to explore that possibility. It would be fun.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's cool to stick a micro-ohm resistor somewhere in a circuit to sample current, and follow that with a 1e6 gain amp with infinite CMRR.

I like to build analog error computers into my circuits too, so I can graph error or goodness on the same plot as actual signals.

I do tend to worry about power dissipation and real-world stuff in sims, where it just doesn't matter. A couple of 1 ohm resistors make a good divider, but I worry about the current, so I use 1Ks.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

John Larkin a écrit :

On complex designs (well simulations) it's better to worry about matrix conditioning and in this regards a 0V voltage source and a CCVS in lieu of your 1µohm and 1E6 gain VCVS is much better. I have some applications where convergence is sometimes hard to obtain and I sure wouldn't want to make the situation worse than it needs to be.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Micro ohms?, we use micro ohms for measuring current but they are kind of large in mass. Or are we not talking about copper?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Spice is all double floats, no? 1e6 isn't a very big number. A current sampler is open-loop so won't have convergence problems.

LT Spice sometimes does weird things with time steps, especially if a circuit has radically different time constants here and there, or mysterious stuff inside a part model. Real transistors seem to stress it, too. Somebody should write a book or article about all that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Spice makes great micro-ohm resistors somehow!

We do make our own current shunts, punched or photoetched from rolled manganin, but generally in the milli-ohms.