Best place on usenet to ask about PCs

I just installed Win XP on a secondary drive in my system here.

I have a couple of queries but not sure which group's best to go ask.

One that ppl here may know. I suspect that NTFS paritions can't be read by W98. That means I shouldn't have converted from FAT32 I reckon. Duh !

Another oddball one. XP doesn't like my Highpoint 370 Raid controller it seems. Even though I got the XP driver from Highpoint's site, XP baulks at it, complaining about an ini file being wrong.

Anyone running dual boot btw ?

Any clues welcome.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

My condolences. Uninstall and replace with Win2K.

...Jim Thompson

Try microsoft.public.windowsxp.*, or the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Apparently, this will allow you to *read* NTFS volumes from Win98:

If you have a spare FAT32 drive handy, you might be able to shuffle the files onto that. Use a USB-to-IDE cable, to make yourself a USB drive at 1/3 the cost of an off-the-shelf USB drive:

(found from pricewatch.com, under Cables, USB to IDE)

Why are you running Win98, anyway? Win2000 is much more stable...

Good luck.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

"Jim Thompson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

by W98.

seems.

Hello Graham and Jim,

I have XP on my newest PC. There is nothing better when it comes to any kind of USB-devices these days. XP is better in recognizing USB devices than W2000. WIN98 is so bad here, that it isn't worth to name it. Many big companies have now switched all there PCs from W2000 to XP. XP will require a more powerful PC of course. It's no fun with a 500MHZ Pentium.

Dual boot requires to first install W98 and then XP or W2000 on a different partition. I expect the order of installation has to be in the order of their advent. At least WIN98 must be installed first.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

I don't suppose these two are relevant...?

mrdarrett

alt.sex.sheep

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

As another poster recommended, see the microsoft support site. They have a bit of information about these sorts of issues.

You can't read NTFS from Win98, as you surmised, and there isn't a way to convert back. You could copy the data someplace else, reformat as FAT32, and copy back.

However, why keep Win98 around? You can run programs in compatibility mode if your copy of Lotus 1-2-3 doesn't run under XP. Test it for your app. See 'Properties:compatibility'.

One of my PCs shipped with Windows ME, which is a version of '98. Upgrading to XP saved me reinstalling windows every few months, as well as the hell of having to check the disk (often taking hours) after numerous blue-screen crashes. That never happens under XP. The main issue I have these days is that since it never gets rebooted, I run out of sockets after 3 or 4 months, and have to reboot it to get email working again. I'm not sure what program is leaking the sockets. This is a machine that my kids use for games and web browsing.

I currently run dual boot with XP and linux. The easiest way to do dual-boot is to use 'grub' as the bootloader, from a floppy. If you are interested, email me, and I can help.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

when you installed it windows will ask at about scsi or raid drivers and that is when you should put the driver in so it will see it. you should find somethink on how to install windows on google or do an update useing the xp cd

Reply to
kidkv

W98.

seems.

Bob Monsen you might of had spyware on your computer the best program that i know is ewido anti-malware 3.5 i have been useing it past its demo and still works spyware will do wired things that will do that you will see that spyware is more of a pain in the a** if f up my computer

Reply to
kidkv

On 6 Jun 2006 22:25:41 -0700, "kidkv" Gave us:

W98.

seems.

Most of the CRAP we are fighting has been authored by the very same folks that author the removal tools. (not referring to your product)

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

XP=Xtra Problems. Supposedly including so many graphical helpers running around that it can hardly move on normal computers. VERY choosy about hardware. Also VERY egoistic who it talks and listens to. Win2k is much more a "workhorse" without the gypsy paint. As here we are on an sci. group try to take those subjects in proportions.

Win98se and Linux do all that I need. (Sorry, a little Compaq Deskpro sits on my table running Win2k for Skype gossiping all over our planet.)

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

I had a dual boot with DOS 6.22 and WinXP. The manufacturer software for a video routing switcher does not run correctly with WinXP so I changed it to triple boot (added win98se) and did not have to re-install XP. I used Partition Magic to resize the partitions and add a 3rd. Win98se went in third and also runs fine.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Wow, DOS 6.22 and Win98SE? Almost makes more sense just to dedicate an older computer for legacy devices. I'm impressed that DOS 6.22 could recognize your newer hardware...

I dusted off an ancient NEC '486 laptop from the garage, running Windows 98... planning on using its serial ports to play with my PICAXE microcontroller project. (I have a feeling Windows 2000 won't like me talking directly to the serial ports.)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Dual boot goes pretty smoothly with XP or 2k. Install Win98 first. Then, install XP on another partition. You are right, Win98 can't access NTFS. I heard a rumor that Partion Magic can convert NTFS to fat32 without loosing data. People warn that this is a risky operation and your data should be backed up before converting. Another reason to have Partion Magic, XP will only create a maximum partition size of

32GB for fat32. Partition Magic will allow you to create a 200GB fat32 partition. XP can handle the 200GB partition.

Another option, you can use VirtualPC to run Win98 under XP. Win98 under VirtualPC will be slow, but you can run both OSs at the same time. Your NTFS partition can be left as NTFS. VirtualPC can access directories outside of the VirtualPC environment.

Can't help you on the RAID issue.

--
Mark
Reply to

W98.

seems.

note that program that i sad about is the best one that i have found and when you get one pice of spyware called ist.toolbar that one will get it.. i also have a dual boot to and buy a computer i build mine.. i wish i could put win95 on a sata hard drive but they dont make a driver for it. on the RAID issue its just like i sad that is how i know i put a sata in to my moms computer and that is how it works. xp would not see the sata contorler on the board. sata is more like scsi

Reply to
kidkv

W98.

seems.

note that program that i sad about is the best one that i have found and when you get one pice of spyware called ist.toolbar that one will get it.. i also have a dual boot to and i dont buy computers i build mine.. i wish i could put win95 on a sata hard drive but they dont make a driver for it. on the RAID issue its just like i sad that is how i know i put a sata in to my moms computer and that is how it works. xp would not see the sata contorler on the board. sata is more like scsi

Reply to
kidkv

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > > > I expect the order of installation has to be in the order of their advent. > > > At least WIN98 must be installed first. > > >

OK -- do yah one better. The Gigabyte Athlon XP 3200 can access a flash drive directly from DOS provided the drive was plugged in during boot up into DOS. Surprised me too when I found it out considering there are no drivers of any kind in DOS. I was going to transfer DOS files onto a shared FAT16 partion that is visible to both OSs. I copied the files onto D: and then could not find them in Win XP. When I checked F: in Win XP, the files were one the flash drive. Now I have to check if DOS can access Compact Flash cards.

BTW, Tango schematic and PCB run like HELL on the Athlon 3200.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

I manged to install XP succesfully finally.

The issue with W98 not seeing the NTFS drive was simply due to my overenthusiasm in selecting NTFS. With both drives as FAT32 it's fine.

Installing the driver for the RAID controller was slightly more tricky. I found a discussion in a forum where it was claimed the it was a problem installing Highpoint 370 drivers in XP and even suggesting that its bios and driver should have the same release number. Since the latest BIOS was ver ~ 1.12 or something and the Windows driver was 2.351 I decided to disregard this advice.

Having re-installed XP with FAT32 I tried once agin installing the device driver but got the same problem I had before.

What I'd missed but got next time round was the brief hint to press F6 to install any 'third party drivers for SCSI Raid etc'. Actually pressing F6 when the msg appears doesn't actually do anything *then* but prompts for the driver disk a few minutes *later* ! This is unlike F2 for recovery which responds immediately if pressed. So, if you miss the option to press F6 ( it's only onscreen for maybe 10 secs or less ) you're knackered and it's confusing that no response to the key press happens straight away.

So - up and running now. I'm switching the boot drive in the bios which keeps my W98SE installation totally untouched.

I was *very* intrigued to discover I could run installed W98 apps on the d: drive from my XP installation too. Didn't expect that.

Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right directions.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

overenthusiasm

and

install

few

10

drive

Now when you get the style you like set up, with all your normal goodies, do a HDD clone with Norton Ghost or equiv.

BTW Procomm, (a dos terminal thing) from the 80's still runs on my XP

martin

Reply to
martin griffith