Beryllium Oxide insulators

I am trying to find Beryllium insulator for TO-247. Anybody know of a source?

regards, Bob N9NEO

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Googling seems to find some. But BeO is toxic and very non-REACH, so you might consider AlN, which is almost as good a thermal conductor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Are you really sure you want to handle BeO today? It is seriously toxic. Cuts and grazes from beryllium materials take forever to heal.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Plus I doubt any company would want to risk a liability pickle by selling BeO products to private parties.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Several people will sell you BeO parts, standard shapes or cut to order with holes and stuff. Their factories must be interesting.

BeO conducts heat a bit better than AlN, and has a lower dielectric constant too. Next best thing to bulk diamond.

 Click to see the full signature

Probably in some distant lands where they can quickly hightail it should something happen.

It's great stuff from a properties point of view. But way too dangerous. I remember when Heathkit sold a very compact shortwave amplifier where the final tubes whose anodes must be cooled but are at several kilovolts were heatsinked to aluminum via BeO. Sweet looking unit. I was tempted but as a student simply did not have that kind of money. A short time later they hurriedly pulled the product.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I never got into ham radio. Both people and sine waves are boring.

 Click to see the full signature

Ham radio is what taught me the skills for my daily engineering work. Much more so than the university which I mostly attended in order to obtain a formal degree. So in essence I am mostly self-taught.

We had some nice groups going on the 80-meter band. Not boring at all. Then field days and all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT), Yzordderrex Gave us:

I think they are illegal now in all but a very select few exempt circles.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mouser and Arrow still sell BeO parts.

 Click to see the full signature

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:44:01 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Perhaps so, but you will not be incorporating them into anything you want to sell overseas.

Certainly not on the RoHS compliance list.

The exempt circles I mentioned are pretty specialized. (mil, space, etc.)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:06:09 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Because your are clueless, there is a lot more than sine waves going on, several satellites up, where is yours? Digital new systems developped that later went mainstream, where is yours? On the boring shit chat level you hold the record number of replies ..

Anything you do not understand you look down on, typical .... Now go help fusion LOL.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Certainly not on the RoHS compliance list.

** Fraid it i:.

Common sense prevailed over mindless rule making, for once at least.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The tubes were probably 8873 or 8874.

--

-Tauno Voipio, OH2UG
Reply to

Before the 60s, chemists were much more interested in, ah, interacting with their compounds...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Affirmed: people ARE boring.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Oct 2014 07:30:06 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

'Boring' that word I first heard in the US. I never found people boring, and as far as I remember I have never been bored in my life. I am way to inquisitive and curious, not time enough to try everything. And I have tried a lot of things, and been a lot of places, and this still goes on.

Only a neural net that is dead perhaps would be or could feel boring, but then it would and could not feel anything.

So there is place for introspection on your side (and maybe that side of the Atlantic pool). maybe you have been doing the same thing for too long, or whatever.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I used to be a chemist. One of the reasons I got out of it was because I had been told that a practicing organic chemist lived about 10 years less than the general population.

--

Rick
Reply to

A perfect one tends to live longer. It isn't necessarily true for all organic chemists either some do live to a ripe old age and they normally get better company medical checks than process workers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 06:40:24 -0500, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

Just like their forefathers. Cool that you are named Tim and noted this.