beginning of the end?

I sure hope so.

 Click to see the full signature

I'm not spending any time on social media apps, unless SED on google groups counts as one.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm sure that it has to. Happily, it only appeals to a minority. I'm not sure that I like I'm admitting that I'm a member of that minority, but it does happen to be a well-documented fact.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My wife does quite a bit on facebook. It's how she keeps up with the grandkid's progress, family (mine), and various friends around the country. It has its uses.

I would have to include Usenet as "social media".

Reply to
krw

Engineers? Social? I don't think so.

Snarl.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin's performance here isn't exactly sociable. If he doesn't get the flattery he feels he deserves, he claims that the insufficiently appreciative part of the audience doesn't do electronics.

As snarls go it isn't actively threatening, but it isn't a sociable response (nor all that realistic, granting that what John counts as electronics looks like tinkering to most of the rest of the group).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm a pretty social guy, I think. I feel just as comfortable at a dinner party or nightclub as I do at a worktable.

I've taken some of those psychological "personality type" tests, and I usually score "extrovert" rather than "introvert" by a large margin.

bitrex

I think the cumulative social IQ of everyone in this group wouldn't reach 100 and I count 90 for myself.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Your social IQ might be higher than the group average, but the fact that you post here, rather than interacting with real people, does suggest that it's going to be lot lower than 90.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bothering taking any of those psychological "personality type" tests puts y ou a long way out on the gullible axis - you aren't a bad a John Larkin, wh o takes denialist web-sites seriously, but be careful of anybody who offers to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 00:55:09 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Nice try, chump. That claim is proof that you, like Trump, have all the smarts of the bacteria in a freshly laid dog turd.

THIS is "the beginning of the end".

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe, maybe not. I've taken the same test twice during job interviews; I recognised some of the questions. The differences in the results were instructive.

The first time the test was marked by someone who had not met me. I later saw his statements about myself, and some close friends. While some points weren't accurate, many were

*astoundingly* accurate, e.g. "I don't want to appear sexist, but she sounds lovable". The marker was a chess international grand master, who is clearly adept at spotting small patterns in data.

The second time it was marked by someone who had met me, and whose performance I later observed from the other side of the table in many interview panels. His comments were trite and no better than anyone could have picked up in a five minute conversation. The marker was a recruitment agent, 'nuff said.

Conclusion: such tests can be useful (e.g. as a source of questions during a second interview), but it is strongly dependent on the marker. Numerically objective as proponents like to claim: absolutely not.

I took the jobs both times, and greatly enjoyed them :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

So you ran out of degrading language to attack other for not posting electronics designs? Shame on you, John! You are a serious hypocrite.

Reply to
John S

Okay, so that's something else you don't know much about. The term, social media, is becoming a misnomer. Facebook has become a host for thousands of specialized groups, many of them quite good, the media messages are usually in the form of links to more detailed exposition in whatever format is mos t appropriate for the interest category. Of course none of that would appea l to you because of your single minded techie nature.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If the state ever gets around to assigning the API , allowable procreation index, yours would be a negative number.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Social means moron apparently :

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"The company compared Android users' daily time spent on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat from January to March 2016 with the same period in 2015"

I think the real trend is that social media choices are growing. People are finding other niches like usenet, reddit, imgur, 4chan, disqus, etc. The market isn't shrinking. Facebook and Twitter are losing market share.

Reply to
Wanderer

Facebook and Twitter visits are down, in an industry where growth is everything. Ads are down too. Apple sales are flattening, as cheap phones proliferate. We are in an industry where everything gets commoditized=cheap, and we need new-new stuff to save us. What will the next new-new be? If it's a back-to-basics movement, get offline and smell the flowers, the semiconductor industry is in trouble.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

al media, is becoming a misnomer. Facebook has become a host for thousands of specialized groups, many of them quite good, the media messages are usua lly in the form of links to more detailed exposition in whatever format is most appropriate for the interest category. Of course none of that would ap peal to you because of your single minded techie nature.

LinkedIn seems to be surviving, but it was designed to offer rather more th an Facebook and Twitter.

There won't be a lot market research and advertising campaigns supporting s uch a move, unless somebody works out how to make money out of it.

H.L. Menken said "?No one in this world, so far as I know ? and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me ? has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the gr eat masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office ther eby.?

I suspect that the bulk of the market will continue to reveal intellectual weaknesses that can be exploited for money, and the market research communi ty will continue to find them out.

Mobile phones will continue to be more useful than telephones we grew up wi th, and there's probably even more stuff that even more powerful electronic s can offer. I had a job interview a couple of weeks ago - somebody has wor ked out a better way of doing electrical spinal stimulation to combat chron ic pain, and their electronic engineer had bugged out to Thailand. The medi cal fraternity usually haven't got a clue what good electronics could do fo r them but every now and then they talk to the right people, and this seems to have spun out one of those events.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 04:05:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us this in response to KRW:

Bwuahahahahaah!

Drink some of Jim Jones' Kool-Aid, Keith! Give some to the rest of your family too!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno