Battery or charger

My battery in my Alcatel phone will no longer charge.

How can I tell if the charger is bad or the battery ?

The charger connector is too small to test with a voltmeter.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy K

How old is the phone? The cheap and nasty chargers on phone handsets almost invariably destroy the battery of anything used with them. You are lucky to get three years battery life out of them.

USB chargers are a bit more forgiving but even then leaving a device continuously on charge with very intermittent use invariably destroys battery capacity in fairly short order. Same with laptops used docked for long periods without cycling the battery from time to time.

If the charger is working the phone will show some signs of life when attached to it provided that the battery has not become a dead short.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The phone powers up and works fine, but the battery indicator shows no bars.

Does that indicate a worn out battery ?

It's a $25 phone that is about 2 yrs old, so I am guessing it does not have a high quality battery.

Reply to
Andy K

most likely the battery. You either test or guess, that's it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I ordered a new battery, but then my old one charged itself fully.??

Andy

Reply to
Andy K