Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

It is customary to actually ask a question in this space.

Judging from your heading, though, you want to know the difference between a CR2032 and a CR2025 battery.

The only thing you can count on at all is size: the CR2025 will be 2.5mm thick, instead of 3.2mm thick.

There's more room inside the bigger battery, so the CR2032 will _probably_ have more capacity and slightly higher current capability, but the battery manufacturer is free to put whatever they want inside the case: they could even use the CR2025 innards in a CR2032 shell, to save production costs.

If you need to know how a battery is going to perform in a specific application, your best bet is to look at data sheets from specific manufacturers (the good ones do publish these; some even publish accurate ones). Use the data sheet to verify that the battery will or won't do what you need.

There's probably more advantage to be had by buying a really good name brand CR2025 over a cheap no-name one than there is to be had by going from a no-name CR2025 to a no-name CR2032.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Great Tip!!

Reply to
broclear

The type numbers define the physical size. The 20 stands for a nominal diameter of 20 mm. The last two digits define the thickness. CR2032 -> 3.2 mm CR2025 -> 2.5 mm

Reply to
Pimpom

A dime may be slightly too thick, you can fold a piece of aluminum foil to an approximate correct thickness. =)

Reply to
oregonpilot

More than two Years later, i guess it's too late... ;-)

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:58:21 +0100, "Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen" Gave us:

Fold the Aluminum foil around matchbook cover card stock.

Well... one used to be able to refer to matchbook covers, and adjusting one's points and such antiquated "skills".

Sure glad I quit smoking back in '87. Never looked back.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nope, as long as your holder has enough spring in the contact to keep the connection it will work just fine. I do it all the time.... so to speak.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Monday, September 3, 2012 6:24:44 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote :

The mediary of the disproportionate mass is equal to the hypotenuse of the inverse triangulation. This extrapolates into dissonance and transpondanse with slight emissions of alabalung gazunga, which is found in a cow pen in the Kenya Highlands. Thus, the last word hath been spoken by your faithful servant and slave from Texas.

Reply to
stephen.vannattan

Now that I know that, I feel so much schzmarter!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I just wanted to say this was a quick and helpful explanation. Thanks

Reply to
mkerr1948

Sure no problem.. I just bought two CR2032 today to replenish my key fobs. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

On Monday, September 3, 2012 at 7:24:44 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wr ote:

I use a bunch of CR2032's and have an ample supply on hand. So when my Niss an's remote started to act up I tried replacing the CR2025 with a CR2032 as they are both 3v and appear very similar in size. (see comments by others for size differences) Anyway, the CR2032 works great as a replacement for t he CR2025.

Reply to
danwstr

FYI a typical BMW key fob takes a 2020, 3 volt (Panasonic or Energiser)

Reply to
mannycoe

I just, successfully, replaced a cr2025 with a cr 2032.

Reply to
bornstrangelycool

One is 3.2 mm thick, the one you bought is 2.5 mm thick..

TTman

Other way 'round I think. He managed to install the thick one where the skinny one was called for. I've used a skinny one in place of a thick one before, but you have to be careful that it will still make contact. Sometimes the spring doesn't have enough compliance. It's even worse when multiple cells are stacked.

--

Rick
Reply to

The CR2025 in my A/C remote died and I replaced it with a CR2032. It is a snug fit, but the remote works again.

Reply to
mawinslow49

correct/agreed.....using a 2025 i found for my car fob; last long enough for me to find the cache of 2032's i have somewhere

Reply to
alexander323d

It won't help. There are those, like me, that read between the lines.

Methinks that they're identical in capacity.

I had ocassion to tear apart a CR2032 cell: Note the mottled looking white Lithium smear on the anode terminal on the right. Over a period of several days, the somewhat clear lithium oxidized into a white coating. Notice that the crumbling MnO2 cathode is somewhat thicker than necessary. When I tore apart a CR2025 (sorry, no photo) it was the same as the CR2032 but with a slightly thinner MnO2 layer. It might save some money to use identical components.

I haven't run discharge tests yet (I have a West Mtn Radio CBA-II analyzer) but I wouldn't be surprised if the CR2032 and CR2025 were identical capacity. If you look at the discharge curves, the "Discharge Characteristics" graphs are identical.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to