Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

My computer clock battery died.  It had a CR2032.  I bought a CR2025 at
a store going out of business (No Returns).  Both say they are 3v.  The
CR2025 is a little thinner, but otherwise they are the same size.  Is
there any reason not to use the 2025?

--------------

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
fred.flintstone@thecave.com wrote in

To thin to fit in quite a few sockets.
And if it fits a bit, it will be empty much sooner.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

They are the same except that the 25 is lower amp rating. The
25 at the end is 2.5mm verses the 3.2 mm you were using.. It'll
work just fine but not last as long. Probably it'll last long enough
for the rest of that computer's life.

  the 20 at the start is the width of the cell.

  I am doing this from memory but it should be correct.

Jamie.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

Yep that's correct.

For a 2032, the 20 means the diameter (20mm) and the 32 means the thickness
(3.2mm). The 2025 is 2.5mm thick and the even thinner 2016 is 1.6mm thick.

Most sockets are designed for a particular thickness so as others have
noted, the 2025 will not fit the socket correctly.

Regards,
Simon.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

That is not totally true..

Many sockets don't use the swing over spring arm, the cell is wedged in
the socket via a side spring to hold it. This means it'll hold all the
CR20xx sizes.. Your key FOB on most cars are a good example. At least
the one on my jeep and Sante Fe are.

Jamie

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 00:30:29 +0100, "Simon Stroud"

It's contacting fine, and is working to keep my clock set.  Teh contacts
are on the side of the case part of the battery, so it seems to work
just fine.  This is an older IBM computer, and it needs a new battery
every 8 months or so.  It always has since I bought it around 2004.
Seems that IBM computers all had (or still have) this problem.  I'll
live with it.  At least they dont seem to have failing capacitors and
the other failures that some other brands are known to have.  Aside from
eating batteries, these IBM systems seem to run forever.

I should mention that I always shut off a power strip for the computer
and all components hooked to it.  I was told that leaving it plugged in
and just shutting off the power switch would save batteries.  But I'd
probably pay for it in my electric bill, and possibly lose a computer
from lightning.  Lightning strikes are common on farms.  I tend to lose
a modem at least once a year and recently lost a DTV converter.  I'd
have to disconnect the antennas and phone lines and darn near everything
else to prevent this.  That gets to be a major hassle.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
Is

Yes, you are discharging the battery every time you shut off the
computer. But what's the problem? You just have to reset the time
every time you boot.

Get a UPS that offers adequate surge protection.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
 I was told that leaving it plugged in and just shutting off the power switch
would save batteries.

Battery life expectancy is determined by 'shelf life'. Typically five years.
The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that computer
(assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

would save batteries.
The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that computer
(assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

   Bullshit.  The computers RTC isn't static, it consumes some power at
all times.  When the computer isn't supplying the power, the battery
is.  It isn't much, but it will cut the battery life by half. The RTC
uses the same 32,768 hz crystal used in a digital watch, and the same
divider chain to generate the 1 PPS, followed by additional dividers to
track time & date.  it also has additional registers to store BIOS
settings.  No CMOS circuit is perfect.  All gates leak small amounts of
current, and the more a chip has, the more it consumes due to leakage.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
omputer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

but it isn't much for something specially made for low current

I just picked the first maxim rtc on their list
http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1339A.pdf
something like 0.5uA

looking at this: http://www.sony.net/Products/MicroBattery/cr/spec.html
it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for a cr2025/cr2032

-Lasse

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

switch would save batteries.
years.  The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that
computer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

    2032 speced at .2 mA discharge rate for 1500 hours.  That is with a
15K load.

   The data sheet for the Maxium RTC states:

PARAMETER        SYMBOL    CONDITIONS    TYP    UNITS
VCC Active Current    ICCA    (Note 5)    450    ľA
VCC Standby Current    ICCS    (Note 6)    200    ľA

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:21:10 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen
... it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for a cr2025/cr2032

   IC consumes so little current (nanoamps) that battery shelf life is the
relevant parameter.  Either battery should be good for at least five years as
demonstrated by correct numbers (in nanoamps; not microamps).

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
Sounds to me like somebody forgot to eat their cornflakes this morning. Let's not get our chemistry
mixed up with our biology? Here's the bottom line.......it will work. I've been using the cr2025 in my
IBM computer's clock for the past 12 years. I haven't noticed one bit of difference. Furthermore, I understand that lightning will strike anything...even trees that do not supply power to anything
at all!! Hmmm, imagine that?

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 02:00:34 -0700 (PDT), "professor/grant"

<snip>

Ah! - maybe that would explain your replying to two-year old posts...

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

Not to mention you can't made in Japan coin cells anymore. They are now made
in China and crappy.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025
   No.

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

The 2025 won't quite fit in the socket.  Put a dime on the + end as a
shim.  It won't last as long as the 2032, but should work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes
(2/3s down the page)

~2/3 the Capacity and smaller

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

Re: Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

The thickness (3.2mm vs. 2.5mm), and the energy that goes with the
size difference.  Both are have a diameter of 20mm (hence the 2025 and
2032 numbers).

Site Timeline