Baofeng radios as scanners, are they ok? Legal?

[...]

Seriously, it does work. Sometimes even UHF and higher. I get cell coverage out of canyons where there isn't the slightest chance of seeing a cell tower anywhere close. it's just that there is never a guarantee. Often there is signal but the connection repeatedly fails because it's a digital protocol. Then I hop on the bike, pedal along a few seconds and try again -> works. Mostly to call my wife. She want's to know when I expect to be home for dinner.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, that is good to know. Then I can program it for them with the frequencies we already know.

Repeaters would only be for me, on mountain bike rides, not for the photographers. I can use the PC to program it. After what I learned during this thread I am leaning towards the UV-B5 because it has a rotary channel selector which is much better than buttons.

Thanks, that clearly points towards the UV-B5 then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Of course reflection against physical objects is possible, but it rarely provides communication with a pre-determined peer. So on hamradio you hear stations but not the one you intended to work.

In some cases it may work better in SHF where smaller structures reflect better, especially when metallic. But still you are better off with clear sight. For emergency location, that may be the use of emergency beacons that use satellites as a relay.

Reply to
Rob

Well, I mostly communicated with pre-determined peers :-)

Clear sight works only a few tens of miles and often I needed a lot more. Horizontal polarization and a nice long yagi worked well. Heck, with a few hundred watts we could reliably communicate clear into Chechoslovakia on 2m in SSB back than and that was hundreds of miles with absolutely no line of sight.