Baker clamp to the rescue

Hi all, so spad games again. Here's my simple reset circuit. The positive voltage will be bigger with the 'real' spad. But at the moment I'm using a green led as spad... and it can't handle more than a few volts of over-voltage.

Here's a 'scope shot with and without the B-clamp Schottky. (Brown trace is w/o B-clamp)

So here's my question. I (mostly) understand faster reset. by why do I get a deeper discharge without the B-clamp?

(Aside, I tried this first with a fet as reset switch.. and I had similar type problems.. too deep a reset.)

Back to my lab bench and 'real' spad. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Could the one-shot drive the schottky diode directly, and eliminate the transistor? Maybe with some gate/buffers if a lot of current is needed.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, I think so. Using some sort of digital drive would be nice. (pulses are born with sharp edges.) but the 'real' spad get's ~10-20V of over voltage.

I should be able to capacitively couple a quench pulse in too, and then piglet sent me some that use a pulsed transformer. (transformers are somewhat magical to me... I'm not sure how to pick one.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How big does the quench pulse have to be? Your sketch implies a volt or two.

How fast do you want the quench to be?

Actual CMOS one-shots are pretty slow; you probably need to make your own. I had to do that recently.

Mosfet gate drivers are interesting if you want to swing tens of volts pretty fast.

Any edge-driven loop can hang up.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Right, it depends on the over voltage.. in theory the quench has to be a little bigger than the over-voltage.

10-20 ns for the whole thing would be wonderful I think I'd settle for 80-100 ns.

Yeah I made my own from an 74hc14 ~10-100 ns pulse width.

OK thanks. Hey I've got the thing working with the real spad... but it's a bit weird and delayed. (At times like this a fast four chan. 'scope would be nice!) Here,

The single orange trace is the compartor out, Brown is the base drive (width ~50 ns) And green is the anode of the spad...via a buffer opamp (I understand nothing of that trace.)

I'll be careful.

Here's an unrelated statistics thing. I was checking the dead time by setting the 'scope to 4 sec. persistence. I get pulses right after the first so dead time looks small. But I hardly get any pulses at all before the one that triggers the 'scope. That strikes me as weird... I naively expect random pulses to be random in time. I think I can hand wave my way out but...

Pic worth 1k words

This is all to slow, and I can't get above 5V... but at least it works :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hey, Spad fun again!

Isn't that just Baker clamp 101? - Without the baker clamp the discharge is deeper because the transistor saturates and collector goes

Reply to
piglet

Good suggestion. I seem to recall goal is 20-30V swing as fast as possible, current is minimal. I suggested a 5V logic line driver stepped up but your gate driver even better as needs less or no step up. Heck, even if step up needed a charge doubler might do.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

The saturation voltage of the BJT is lower than V_BE - V_f of the diode.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK as soon as we order 10 'real' spads I'm sending you one.

Re saturation: Most likely, I guess I don't understand it very well. It went below 'my' expected c-e voltage... but there's ~ -100V on the other side... I'm pulling both sides down.(?) I tried first with a fet, and that also went deeper than expected.

I look at my 'scope trace and I figure, there must be stuff happening faster than I can see.

I should think of diodes as low C switches, when biased properly.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold