Bad OpAmp Spice Models?

I'm trying to make a list of OpAmp Spice models that either poorly model power supply currents, or not at all.

Suggestions, hopefully with details of how they deviate from the real device, would be appreciated.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Have you ever been bit by a model that didn't show the difference in GBW product for when the device was pulling UP versus when the device was pulling DOWN?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Was it the GBW that got you or slew rate differences between UP and DOWN?

I find it hard to imagine a "modern" OpAmp with significant GBW difference UP or DOWN. Way back in the past I know of fully dual-path designs that could do that. ...Jim Thompson

I don't think was slew rate limiting but as you said 'dual path' design. quite old

something like the CA3130 ?

Reply to
RobertMacy

OK. Now I understand. BCML: Before current mirror loads ;-) Resistive pull-ups, current pull-downs.

I've found an even better way to model power supply current, much better than yesterday's post (I didn't show the math, but it could be far simpler :-)

It even can be tacked onto Spice models that lack any power supply pins.

So back to playing, then I'll release an upgraded configurable OpAmp model. ...Jim Thompson

So, you're working on a model for the people who do the "connect a PNP booster to the power supply pin" dodge?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Not specifically for that application. Just generally. Since that seems a common complaint.

But I've done that very "dodge" myself. Early '70's, LDO with 2N2907 plus LM741 ;-)

Worked a peach EXCEPT I found out that not everyone's 741 was actually the same circuit schematic... I was making hybrids at the time, 741 in chip form. ...Jim Thompson