Audiophoolery?

Actually, I put them on hard drives or micro-SD cards inserted in various computers, tablets, and cell phones.

Reply to
krw

Personally I preferred "The Well-tempered Synthesiser" [1] and "A Clockwork Orange" - but /his/ "Sonic Seasonings" was stunning and a decade in advance of the "ambient" genre.

[1] Possibly the only standard LP to include a test track so you could ensure you had the speakers connected correctly, and that the balance was adjusted properly.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why would I pay for something that I can get free, if connected to the web (not always).

Reply to
krw

Ah, but /where/, exactly, in the orchestra? It sounds different in the middle of the strings to amongst the tubas :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Belts and idler wheels are still available from specialty houses. Just Google for "turntable belts". Reminder: You'll need a strobe disk and neon lamp to get the speed set correctly.

If you want to get something new, I suggest a USB turntable:

I had one of these: I digitized mostly of my vinyl collection and sold then it for slightly less than I paid. I then inherited a Sony PS-X60 turntable, which I haven't bothered to try.

Of course, some critics say that USV turntables are junk. You decide:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Broadcast quality R-R is still highly desirable AFAIC.

...Jim Thompson

I use the excellent Audacity under Linux. IIRC there's a Windows version, too.

Cursitor Doom

Extremely sane, unlike a certain Mr. Mugabe.

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom

The Kinks got a very similar effect back in the 60s by slashing the speaker cone with a razor!

Cursitor Doom

Vox made 2 quite different AC30 amps. One was valve, one transistor.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

s/his/her/ s/genre/gender/ ;-)

Reply to
krw

It sounds different but it doesn't sound distorted. The best place is

10th row center.
Reply to
krw

I've done it using Audacity. It's a *lot* of work getting things to sound good.

Reply to
krw

There are plenty of good decks and plenty of junk out there

Belts are always available, and when they're not they're easy to make. Maybe one day I'll digitise the 78s.

Last time I listened to the 8 track reminded me how crap those things sounded, at least for most domestic kit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

about 4 hours an album IME.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

----------------------------

** Only a few "Solid State" VOX AC30s were made in the early 1970s.

The pre-amp used RC4136 op-amps and a few jfets.

A pair of 2N3055s produced the output.

At least it was made in the UK, unlike USA made "VOX" models.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oddly, I've found the opposite to be true. A particularly low-fidelity recording was on the radio. I remarked on how dreadful it sounded, because it was a very distorted and scratchy sound, mainly unlike a real piano. My companion (who is a pianist) thought it was a fine performance.

I was criticising the sound, but she was hearing the performance. Different things entirely. The recording was Stravinsky playing one of his own works...

Reply to
whit3rd

Any boogering Deutsche Grammophon or EMI does is to get as close to the original as possible.

Obviously it's not silly to avoid anything, like tubes, that would take you farther from the original.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, there is merit - for him. He likes the sound of extra 2nd harmonic distortion. Many people do find it to be 'warm' and somehow soothing, so for them valves have merit.

You could convincingly duplicate the sound with semiconductors if you wanted to but no one who designs with silicon thinks it is worth the effort*.

*there are some, add-ons for semiconductor amps that add noise, soft clipping, 2nd harmonic distortion, or add some other tube sound, but nothing that adds all of them. Why would you bother when the final result will just be called in inferior implementation
--
The latest set of Shadow Broker tools shows the UK, USA, Canada,
Australian and New Zealand spy agencies were hacking into domestic home

Ahmmmm..... I do find it hard to get to grips with the idea that Brian May uses a tube AC30 is not known by all...oh dear....

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward