Atmospheric River Rolling Into SoCal- Population Flees!

It's lazy non-explicative writing man, just saying. I'm dating an English major, she wouldn't let her students get away with junk phrases like that. Don't know why people who get paid to write are allowed to.

Reply to
bitrex

That has nothing to do with ocean temperatures.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Of course. "Illusions" are taxable. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The last time I went skiing at a real mountain (Killington VT.) Many many moons ago, my brother and I would get about 1/3 of the way down, and would have to stop, resting on poles, sucking air. Down the hill comes some little 10 year old, bombing by us, presumably all the way to the bottom. Dang kids. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The Sierras aren't so high. The partial pressure is about 75% at the top of Sugar Bowl, which isn't too bad. Places in Colorado, you can ski at more like 60%, which really gets your attention.

 Click to see the full signature

Ouch, I've hiked to about 10k in the sierras but never skied that high. I better stay down here in the lowlands, where the air is as thick as the women's thighs, and that's OK both ways. :^)

George H. Who is happy women come in lotsa sizes. (with no offense to any women reading.)

Reply to
George Herold

If it started raining pineapples I'd run inside, but I'd be outside with a basket as soon as it stopped.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

But this is the East, where the rivers are slow and the mountains are flat. ;0

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who blew both his knees out as a teenager and so has a perfect excuse.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ix to eight months of rainfall in 36 hours, right over what would be a sign ificant Thomas Fire burn scar region,"

uations/index.html

An implausible claim.

John Larkin doesn't understand much, and tries to pretend that what he does n't understand isn't worth understanding.

He's gullible when it come to climate denial, and affects cynicism when he runs into the technical vocabulary of climate change.

It makes him look like a total twit, but he's used to that.

In Australia we deliberately light small fires before the bush fire season

- fuel reduction burns - to minimise the big bush fires that are happening now. It doesn't stop the occasional big fire - we just lost 69 houses a hun dred or so miles south of Sydney.

Enjoy it while it lasts. A warmer ocean means more water vapour in the air being blown inland. It also means that the air has to get higher before it gets cold enough that the water vapour will fall out of it as snow - thicke r snow on smaller snowfields.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In peer reviewed academic publications, you won't probably find mention of Snow Bombs[1]. However, on the NOAA weather images site, you will: "2018 Bomb Cyclone Blizzard" "Bomb Cyclone" NOAA also seems to have adopted the "river in the sky" and "atmospheric rivers" terms: Science and sensationalism blunder forward together.

Topic drift bait: If you're on the east coast of the USA, you might enjoy the images from the new GOES-16 (EAST): Your tax dollars at work. With a little imagination, you can also see the "river in the sky" over California, but at a rather bad angle:

[1] 190 scholarly hits for "river in the sky", most of which involve astronomy and the Milky Way: and 33 hits for "snow bomb":
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, of course not: they called it 'dangerous waters' and told stories about rounding Cape Horn against fierce weather if you tried it east-to-west. Going the other direction 'the easy way' was also difficult.

Mutiny on the Bounty is a good dramatic retelling of (among other things) a passage around Cape Horn, through the polar vortex.

Reply to
whit3rd

Oh, don't use so many words. The 'good thing' is that you don't see anything but noise, so you don''t learn.

Not a good thing, in my opinion (but I'd first want to do other analyses, past the 'obvious' barrier).

Reply to
whit3rd

4.25 lines of text is not a lot of words.

The snowpack pattern looks pretty statistically stationary to me. The closest thing to the dreaded "perpetual California drought" was the dry spell in the late 1920's.

 Click to see the full signature

One could calculate the correlation coefficient of the snowpack data with the annual average temperature, and you'll find out if the snowpack responds to hot years by growing, or shrinking, or staying the same. If you care about global warming, and trust snowpack data, that determination would be an important step. It's not going to be obvious from a graph, though.

Reply to
whit3rd

It's more than the content justified.

You do know how to run the statistics that would put confidence limits on your claim of "no significant change'?

So post the numerical results.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

six to eight months of rainfall in 36 hours, right over what would be a sig nificant Thomas Fire burn scar region,"

cuations/index.html

I remember my dad sending me a clipping from the Shreveport newspaper whic h said essentially that yes it was rainy yestorday. 12 inches in 24 hours . It was from the front page of the newspaper, but only about 3 column inc hes.

And then there was the time when we had just moved to Huntsville, Al. and w ere still staying in a motel. We caught the end of a huricane and rained re ally hard. My wife said it was going to flood and I said it rains really h ard in the South, but they had drainage to take care of it. She let me slee p until there was a foot of water in the room.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster