Atheros 9285 eeprom problem

My HP came with a Broadcom Wifi adapter, but i want to switch it to Atheros . I got a few PCIe 9285 adapters. They are identical except for the subsy stem ID:

The HP branded adapter did not work at first, but works after re-flashing i t. The non-HP adapter works on another labtop but lockup the bios on the H P, with non-supported device message.

I am trying to re-flash the non-HP adapter with the HP image. I can change most of the eeprom data except for 3 bytes. Unfortunately, two of them ar e the subsystem ID that i need to change. No matter what i do, flashing wi th HP image and/or random file, i can not change the subsystem ID.

Could they be write protecting few bytes within the eeprom? Are there some other GPIO and/or register that need to be changed before setting the subs ystem ID?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

My experiance with Atheros is limited because the first Atheros based NIC I used was on an HP system the top dog had to have. In a nut shell it didn't work well on the LAN and I wound up using a Intel pro adaptor instead.

Atheros left a bitter taste.

Martin Riddle

ros. I got a few PCIe 9285 adapters. They are identical except for the su bsystem ID:

g it. The non-HP adapter works on another labtop but lockup the bios on th e HP, with non-supported device message.

nge most of the eeprom data except for 3 bytes. Unfortunately, two of them are the subsystem ID that i need to change. No matter what i do, flashing with HP image and/or random file, i can not change the subsystem ID.

ome other GPIO and/or register that need to be changed before setting the s ubsystem ID?

I used was on an HP system the top dog had to have. In a nut shell it didn 't work well on the LAN and I wound up using a Intel pro adaptor instead.

Atheros Wifi seems to work well in my private subnet as well as several pub lic hotspots. The problem is HP. It is whitelisting other version with di fferent subsystem ID. It is the same chip, except with byte 12 and 13 of t he eeprom. Other laptop does not do that. It is only for the short slot. I can move it to the long slot and extend the antenna cable. But reflash the eeprom is the easiest solution.

I can also try to reflash the HP bios, but that's more work.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee