"As good as it gets..."

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

That's too much click-bait. The only thing that kept me clicking was my intuition that Wyoming would place near Arizona. It did. Wyoming's number 4. During our last boom, some African-American city slicker thought he was going to rob a local motel. After the American-Indian-American (AIA) behind the counter whipped out her pistol and asked him if he wanted to die today, he decided to beat a hasty retreat. That's your best bet when an AIA points a gun at you and asks you if today's a good day for you to die. They mean it. They just look at death differently.

?

Thank you,

--
Don
Reply to

That was worthy of a bookmark.

Note about Montana. I assume by financial institution they mean to include those places where miners take their gold in to convert to cash. Well they are a rowdy bunch up there, some of them. Remember the guy they said went n uts and shot a bunch of people there ? He didn't go nuts.

The nearby claim holders had him landlocked and they wanted his claim. They tried to force him out and that abandonment would give them a crack at it. They told him "The only way you're getting that ore out of here is by heli copter". That is of course totally impractical and the lay of the land wasn 't conducive to easily making an airstrip for planes, which might be feasib le because they are so much cheaper in every way. With an airstrip long eno ugh for a low powered craft he could actually hire one out of the yellow pa ges or just buy one and learn to fly it. I know 2 people here who did it m ostly for fun, though one used to bring in smoke when he went on his tours to take pictures. Yes, he was a big photography buff, and kept getting lost at this one airstrip down there where someone just happened to have some w eed for sale. It is not that expensive, especially if you have a gold mine.

He started refining his own gold, and may actually have ended up mentally i mpaired due to the mercury fumes. But the people who made that necessary we re responsible for it anyway so fukum.

So Yuck, our buddy up there had a claim and wanted us to come up there and help him work it. This of course includes having an armed guard on the plac e 24/7. Most people who could go didn't want to. The "fearless leader" of t his little group didn't want to leave his grandkids, I didn't want to go so mewhere I had no connections. And it didn't matter, nobody was going to go unless fearless leader went.

So I am not a gold miner. Oh well.

Reply to
jurb6006

What was life like in 1925?

Reply to
bitrex

Selling shovels isn't as glamorous but probably a more reliable revenue-stream. Less dangerous, too

Reply to
bitrex

You must have a deficient newsreader. In Agent, clicking on that link takes you straight to AZ.

We have lots of similar tales here... but mostly perps laying on the floor, of the local corner store, bleeding out. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

There aren't that many actual shootings, but the National Rifle Association does make sure that any such event is reported in every newspaper across the USA.

There were 13,455 murder victims in the US in 2015. Private citizens justifiably killed 328 people during the same period, of which 268 were killed with a firearm, of which 215 were killed with a handgun.

Arizona has 7 million people, the US as a whole 326 million. Statistically speaking, Arizona should have one such shooting every two months.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, but if you're curious about other states, it may take 50 clicks and 50 pages of ads.

Reply to
krw

You don't have ad and pop-up blockers in place? ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

As widely reported, gun deaths drop 20% (range 6.7%-34%) during the NRA convention.

I wonder how the NRA will spin that?

Conclusion: that's significant.

Conclusion: to reduce gun deaths in the USA, have the NRA conventions last the entire year :)

Tom Gardner

conventions last the entire year :) "

Hey, that sounds like a good idea.

It beats waiting for someone on ritalin, SSRIs, a smoking cessation aid and whatever else to say "Crap, I was going to go shoot up that school tomorrow but the government says I must turn in my Uzi. Darnit !".

Reply to
jurb6006