Article: Measuring Frequency Response

For embedded closed-loop control systems.

Comments welcome (particularly if I made some stupid mistake).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Tim,

Yummy, thanks.

-- _______________________________________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser/Optical Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@BOGUSsandia.gov NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

Note to self: make sure that it's clear that I'm doing swept-sine measurements.

The sweep is exponential, and some extremely vague handwaving in there about making it slow enough -- I should think about how to clarify that.

Generally the method as I use it, with the exponential sweep, moves things slowly enough that the transient response doesn't cause a great deal of difficulty -- particularly if you have the system operating in closed-loop, which generally causes the transient to settle out much faster than the initial sine wave.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Tim Wescott at snipped-for-privacy@wescottnospamdesign.com wrote on 03/25/2005 16:08:

just a first impression, i can't tell from the body of the article, but it appears in the code that you are doing swept frequency measurements. are you, or am i reading the code wrong ("startF", "stopF").

if you are doing *linearly* swept frequency measurements and your sweep rate is not slow enough, you might want to review:

it's just to show what the apparent frequency response is and then how to correct for any deterministic error.

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

robert bristow-johnson

Hi,

you may want to consider adding a brief discussion about interpreting the results. For example the amount and location of peaking in the closed loop response can give a rough idea of the loop bandwidth and the stability margin ( From the closed loop peaking, can you tell the gain and phase margin separately or not??). Also I'm sure you are familiar with Venabale which uses some similar techniques.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I think you may have a typo in your discussion of eq. 7. You refer to a ­"Pi/2 term" which I don't see.

Reply to
Gary Richardson

Tim,

I just did a quick read and it looks like you've covered the topic pretty well. Not much I'd add, actually.

Well organized, stated pretty simply, well explained. I think you could expect a red or blue ribbon at the science fair. ;)

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms, Intel Corp. My opinions may not be Intel's opinions.

Eric Jacobsen

Figure 5 etc would be better if the Right hand scale showed the 45, 90 and

180 degree points directly.

The font on the equations is a bit small.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It works for any stability problem that can be made into ratios of polynomials with contiguous regions of stability -- so it works for z, s, w = (z-1)/(z+1), etc.

I have a mission to make software engineers comfortable with control theory, so I cast it entirely in terms of the z transform -- I should probably note that it'll work in the s domain, but then I'd have to explain how to do sampled-time measurements and convert them to continuous-time conclusions.

When I'm doing design for discrete-time control I _always_ do the analysis in the z domain, and if frequency response measurements are appropriate I nearly always do them in the context of the controller, rather than trying to make continuous-time measurements and translate.

Well, _I_ call it a Bode plot when I do it in the z domain. You can't construct it with a pencil and a ruler like you can in the s domain, but you interpret it exactly the same way so it seems appropriate.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

A nice discussion, Tim. You put it in terms of z-domain transfer function, but surely s-domain would be at least as appropriate for most of the paper. Is there a z-domain Bode plot?

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Hi,Tim

Your article makes clear many things for me. I think it very good except its long line which is bad for printing.

Thomas Atmel ShangHai

Tim Wescott wrote:

Reply to
wt70707

[snip stuff that doesn't matter]

Thanks, but this is a web page with figures interspersed. The web page is fine but hard to print nicely. A formatted version with imbedded images would be the solution. I tried to convert it but I was reporting on my failure to generate one with free or available tools.

Maybe someone else has better success. Otherwise, the web page has all the information, and I found a way to locally print the content. I just tried (and failed) to make an easily printable version for download.

Thanks, again, to Tim for writing and sharing the web page.

Reply to
xray

Not top-posting in this reply...

What kind of browser are you using? When I do a print preview with Firefox, the page fills nicely but getting page breaks not to split images is another issue.

Great to share this stuff, Tim, but a link to printable format like pdf or doc would be nice.

I know... looking the gift horse, etc. But if you could find a way to present in a printable format that you like, even better.

Thanks for sharing either way.

Reply to
xray

You missed this thread a couple of weeks back about virtual print drivers (3 options):

JeffM

For what it's worth, I converted your pages into a doc file and tried to use that with GhostView to create a pdf. Apparently my old veraion of Word is inadequate. Seems the pictures were not imbedded and I haven't found a setting to change that. Dang!

I tried.

Reply to
xray

Did you try printing the web page with something like PDF995? Not always pretty, but it will print the pictures along with the text. Its a shell for ghostscript.

Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to