Art of Electronics, signed copy, 6th printing, $69.

LOL- just make sure it isn't in one of those 'bad idea' sections first.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There are no "Bad Circuits" pages in AOE III. Obviously you need to sign up for one yourself. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Bad circuits could be a great book, or web site.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I have several books like that, e.g. Graf's Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits--3 volumes totalling about 8 inches thick. I had to buy them for an expert gig, because I needed to find prior art. They were really cheap used, of course.

Skimming some of the contents, it looked like about a quarter of them were candidates for "Bad Circuits". The rest were mostly just crufty.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Giant circuit encyclopedias used to be popular. I never found them to be terribly useful. I guess the web killed them.

If I had time, I'd set up a web site: novel circuits, bad circuits, IC Bugs, parts notes, good links, cool photos, various rants. Might eventually get some ad revenue.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I received your email reply and I sent you $72.99 via PayPal. I wasn't sure if it could be sent with no fee. You are a friend and perhaps a member of the "family" of SED ;)

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

I believe a lot of s.e.d-ers are credited in this new edition. On which pages will I find Bill Sloman's contributions?

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Can those of us in Yoorp get a piece of the action here or is this strictly a US-only gig? I'm thinking maybe the postage rate to other parts of the world may be a deal-breaker. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Bwahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Thank you.

I just sent the Paypal payment.

sorry for the delay, busy and sort of celebration since it's the first time my platelet count, now 135k, has been above the 10k-15k range.

Martin Riddle

Great, perfect. No worries, there's always a fee!!

I'm certainly an s.e.d. family member, since 15 to 20 years and maybe 10000 posts! Way too many! But I miss the old ASCII schematic days. And my friend Tony Williams, who with a host of others joined me in investigations on exotic things like microplasma, zener avalanche on the ns timescale and zener noise.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It is. I got a quote of $70 to ship the 5 lb book to India, and $125 to Thailand. That's by the slowest shipping methods offered.

Meanwhile counterfeit sellers give me free shipping by DHL from India and Malaysia, for a total charge of $44 to $60. Clearly they have a completely different fee structure.

There must be a better way to do this, but I just haven't found it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Just sent $72.99...

---

  • KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
  • Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
Sergey Kubushyn

Good idea- filter out the few remarkably bad ones from the vast ocean of merely bad circuits out there.

Here's a 3-component oscillator/jammer you can make with a glue gun:

It is probably stressing Veb.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

RIP Tony. 8-(

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

RIP Tony!!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Such books alread exists: I'm not sure about the vintage, but my guess(tm) is the late 1970's. I've lost count of how many circuits I "borrowed" from such books, only to find that they either had a well hidden fatal flaw, or that they were patented.

Permit me to expand on the idea. Divide the book in two major parts. The first is a compedium of admittedly bad designs, but without any indications as to what is wrong with the designs. The second part is an analysis of the circuits (using LTspice) demonstrating the failure mode(s).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Hidden flaws are cool, fun to explore. Any patents will have run out. Furthermore, most were for specific applications. It's hard to patent simple circuits (that should not have been granted patents), and very expensive to prosecute violations in court.

Cute! That's what we did with 'Bad Circuits" in the 2nd edition. We received so many emails asking for solutions, but what we did was to assert badness, and thereby trigger massive thought processes in the reader. Ditto for the exercises. I always sincerely invited a second request, and promised to provide hints, but rarely got one. I was ready, really, enjoy emailing, but I suppose that's good.

It's fun to use SPICE, but it's not not instructive. Evaluation and analytical analysis would be better.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Win, I have sent a payment on 10/01 along with email. Did you receive it? Was I too late and all pieces were sold?

Reply to
AntonF

Hi Anton, yes I received it and two others after you.

I have decided to keep this special s.e.d. offer open until the interest dies down. Last week I ordered 14 copies direct from the publisher and I'll keep getting more as necessary. I expect these will be 9th printing, and the price will stay at $69 + $3.99 shipping = $73. I'm subsidizing each one slightly, but hey I love you guys and this celebrates about 20 years on s.e.d. After Paul and I have a little signing party, I'll send them out. This is US shipping only, because I don't know how to ship 5 pounds overseas for less than an arm and a leg, any clues would be appreciated.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win