Art of Electronics 3rd edition? (probably the billionth time this has been asked here)

Hi, I'll keep this short, because I am sure this has been asked a billion times already. Does anyone know if the Art of Electronics 3rd edition will be released soon? I read there is a possibility of it being released early next year. I have also heard that the 2011 date is an urban legend. I have been looking over the AoE 2 and think it's amazing. I will buy one Art of Electronics Book, that much is clear, but I don't want to end up buying the second edition now, if the 3rd edition is going to be released before I graduate in 2012. Thanks for any info, and thanks for your patience.

The Alaskan EE Undergrad Montz

Reply to
UAFEEUndergrad

Hey, stay behind the learning curve and save a few bucks.

John

Why are so few people willing to solder and learn _real_ stuff _while_ they are at college or university? I mean, a copy of AoE sets one back less than $100, no need to take out a major loan for that.

Ok, OTOH this brings me assignments so I won't complain :-)

Note to Benjamin (can't read your posts): I paid good money for the 1st edition of the Radar Handbook while fully aware of the fact that the 2nd edition was coming out in due course. Because I wanted to learn this stuff, right then and there, and not wait.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

There's enough schtuff in AOE 2 to keep you busy until 3 comes out. ;-)

I wonder if Win and Paul plan to put out an on-line edition, where you can read the whole thing, including the quizzes. but would have to pay to get to the answer pages. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But with PHUT ... *POOF* effects and all that if you get an answer grossly wrong :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

There was a "student manual" available for AoE-2. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Seems there still is:

[...]

Oh yeah, only 23 days now :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

There's an easy way to check that. Since you're already at Google Groups (aka the Usenet Archive), you could put that in the Search bar.

People in college in 2010 don't know about Wikipedia?

:Rich Grise wrote: :I wonder if Win and Paul plan to put out an on-line edition, :where you can read the whole thing :

JeffM

No. :-P

Hey, don't be so hard. When I was in college, my main concern was having enough money to buy food, and I couldn't always do that! I had already taken out "major loans" to pay for tuition, room and board, and textbooks, etc., but it wasn't enough to actually pay for all of those things. I had to watch every dollar, and even doing my best, I ran out of money more than once and could not get food to eat.

If he is considering buying a copy of AoE at all, he is doing quite well, IMO.

Good attitude!

How about this: Buy a used copy of the 2nd edition off Amazon.com, and read it while waiting for the 3rd edition. Then you can sell it there and "upgrade" when (or _if_???) the 3rd edition is published. I checked just now, and there are several copies available used for about $66.

If you are serious about learning electronics, this book is an absolute "must have". So if you can cough up $66 plus shipping (without dying from hunger :-), just do it.

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

I've given away half a dozen or so, the latest to a 14-year old kid that a friend brought in for a tour. I hope he learns some real electronics, and not just computer nonsense.

The other must-have book is Phil's:

even if the cover is a tad garish.

John

On a sunny day (Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:19:11 -0700 (PDT)) it happened JeffM wrote in :

I think a new version of Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem Forever is expected any day now too:

Jan Panteltje

sed

year.

ing

efore

e.

)

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

quoted text -

Yes! For a student I would reccomend that they buy the student manual also. Lot's of good excercises.

And don't wait for the third edition, buy the second edition second hand.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You _can_ work your way thru college. While I had a tuition, room and board scholarship, I had to work for books, etc. First year I washed dishes :-( After that I found a technician job in MIT Building 20. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hey John, couldn't agree more about Hobbs. I'm wondering about whether to get the 2nd edition -- the one with the garish cover. Is there a significant amount of new material? Might just get it anyway; folks with Phil's sense of humor need all the support they can get...

BTW, dollars to donuts that Win Hill is reading this thread and keeping very very quiet, eh Win?

-Jim MacA.

-From my lab down the hall from Horowitz.

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

I haven't compared them side-by-side. Maybe Phil will tell us about the changes.

The cover thing isn't his fault.

John

Speak for yourself, Jim!

I washed dishes, too! And later worked for the Computer Science Department designing CAD software and IC layout.

But for me, it was actually against the rules at Caltech. I did it anyway, but made very little money, and it took time away from studying, so it hurt my grades. There was a reason it was against the rules -- it didn't work.

Maybe Caltech is harder than MIT. ;-)

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

Or you're not as good a student. I was on the Dean's list most of the time... 100% once I married (married March 31 of my sophomore year :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I skipped the washing dishes kind of work. But I did some rather dangerous jobs before getting my degree. The upside was that those paid rather well.

Then the rules are wrong.

I did the same, made about $6/h or so, in the 80's. Not CAD and layout but board level design. Yes, it did hurt my grades but it was one of the best decisions I ever made at university, to actually build stuff, make stuff happen. You can't learn that in classes.

No, it's wrong rules. Seriously, nobody ever looked at my grades after I had my masters :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Youngsters... I made $1.90 (1958-1962)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The books have nearly the same number of pages, but they shrank the font. At the same font size, the second edition has about 100 pages of new material, including things I learned in the interim and additional explanations and background material for some sections that were pitched at too high a level initially. Nothing has been dumbed down, but it's all been revised and little ramps added where they were needed. Also there are more cross-references between sections, and sections that examined the same instruments from different angles have been unified. For instance, the ISICL particle detector appears in Chapters 1, 2, 3,

4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 19, and 20, and it's now clearer that it's different aspects of the same gizmo. That makes it easier to understand the detailed instrument design, as well as the isolated principles.

The revisions were done at various times during the 2000s, as I had time and was doing the kind of work described in a given section. I think that's important, since it keeps the author honest, gives those sections a sense of immediacy, and makes it easier to give clear and relevant details. I went through the whole thing again during 2008 to get rid of loose ends and keep the style reasonably consistent. I also added a list of 100 good technical books to fill in any gaps in people's preparation. (I posted them here a couple of years ago, and many of you folk gave very valuable critiques.)

And you should have seen the *original* cover design. The nebulae looked like spilled blackberry yogurt. Those sorts of pictures belong on dust jackets, so they can catch the eye but then be decently discarded after you buy the book. (As the old saw has it, "Fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen.")

For anyone who's interested, there's more at my website.

And now, back to the salt mines.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(In Toronto for Canadian Thanksgiving with my #2 daughter, who's at U of T.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal