Are solid state hard drives faster?

What is your imbecility quotient, Nymbecile? 200 I'll wager.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Wikipedia would have you believe that Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, the Mac OS, and even solaris all support "trim:"

I agree with you that Intel SSDs are still largely the benchmark that everyone aspires to, but just in the past year or so a lot of other manufacturers have really closed the gap between their own performance and Intel's (meanwhile, Intel has also reduced their prices significantly in response); it's not at all like the old days of, e.g., JMicron controllers that were not only poor performers but also not exactly ATA compatible in the first place and sometimes a bit buggy.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Actually, the real cosmic rays are almost always stopped in the atmosphere. The ones that make it to the lower atmosphere produce showers of charged particles and Gamma rays. The charged particles are also usually stopped by your roof, but the Gammas go flying through. Those Gammas are what you are seeing in your detectors in the basement. Because they are a shower, the probability of them hitting two detectors is quite good. If a single ion had to hit two detectors in any arrangement, the probability of coincidence would be really low. (We work with detectors with hundreds of scintillators to get coincidence efficiency up into the tens of %, the efficiency of just 2 detectors would be REALLY low.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Pro ? At what?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

How would you know that?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Ever here of "quantum tunneling"? No, I suppose not, AlwaysWrong.

What a dumbass.

Reply to
krw

, and

ryone

have

e,

at

or

The wiki makes it sound all rosy, but I like the suggestions on the opensuse link. You need tmpfs for posix anyway, so having them enabled is a good thing.

I based my intel purchase simply on the least amount of complaints on newegg. Hardly scientific, but better than nothing. The only complaints were from mac users, and the mac os wasn't set up for SSD until Lion came out.

Now I wonder if I should set up a ramdisk on my win7 for temp?

Reply to
miso

in

een

d as

data is

lash

ects.

an

on

I wonder if Chieftain is related to Glimmerass?

Reply to
miso

te in

been

red as

e data is

Flash

bjects.

ss

no

"an

tron

That's why he's called the Nym shifter, Nymnal, Nymnonuts, Nymrod, Dimbulb and Always Wrong. I used Archimedes' Lever for awhile so I call him Archie.

Somebody else also referred to him as the San Diego swisher.

Reply to
Greegor

That electron is NOT the same one on the other side that initiated it.

No electron actually "passed through" ANY insulator.

If it did, the medium does NOT qualify to be called an insulator.

So, it is either a semi-conductor, or there was a field effect.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

IFYNFY

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

You are the liar, fucktard.

Hilarious that you call me a liar.

You have probably never even seen an HP 380, much less a 10GBase switch or the new fiber that links between things.

You are about as "loser" as it can get, loser.

Me? I map out the world's fastest gateways in more cities than you can name. You want to count toys? You should see the number of stamps in my passport.

You lose, greegor. You can FOAD now. We will not miss you.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Oh, an electron was made out of thin vacuum? One was annihilated on the other side simultaneously? The annihilation energy was mystically transported to the new electron? Kinda anti-Occam, no?

So far your perfect record is intact, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

One and the same. That's why he's also called "Nymbecile".

Reply to
krw

You are the idiot annihilating things... and of all things, electrons!

You do not know much about how charges work eh?

Where are the electrons at on the surface of a big, old TV set?

(hint: I've already told you the answer in the question)

Ever see a "Plasma Ball"?

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

You know nothing, obviously, DimBulb. No, I suppose you don't know that electrons have properties other than charge, like mass. You know, E=MC^2, it's not just a good idea...

Ever get *anything* right in your miserable life, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

FWIW I bought a pair of OCZ 30 GB drives last fall to use for the OS (Win XP Pro SP3) and programs. Data storage is on plain HDDs. The first failed at 6 weeks and just 'disappeared' and didn't show up on the list of SATA drives. The other did the same thing last Friday (18 weeks @ 12 hrs/day). Boot up time is barely different but loading a program is a lot faster. Small drives like this are quick and easy to image so I did have backup to restore these. I bought a Corsair Nova last weekend to replace one of the OCZs while it's out for exchange. Since they're so 'reliable' I plan to keep the replacement on the shelf after restoring the image and running it for a week or so. BTW OCZ claims MTBF at 1,000,000 hours. The 'good' one made it maybe 1500 hrs.

Good luck

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Mostly you see locally produced alpha with thick trails and betas with finer ones. Easier to do with black velvet and dry ice/alcohol. You can almost get the top of a very hot cup of coffee to do it with care.

Muons have fairly high penetrating power too and are the most likely thing to be detected in his cellar - although their lifetime somewhat limits their range. Amusing really that a denier of relativity should be detecting secondary cosmic ray particles that only reach the ground because of relativistic time dilation. See para 20.4 in the following:

I'd be surprised if a single muon event was enough to annoy or change the state of a current generation memory cell. A primary cosmic ray hit in orbit certainly could.

Packaging alpha particle certainly has been a problem in the past and may be so again in the future if Fukushima has added to the global inventry. The most sensitive experiments are sheilded internally with pre nuclear age smelted steel (which is now in very short supply without raiding designated war graves). German steel from Scapa WWI armistice scuttled battleships being preferred material for this usage.

The typical count rate at ground level is something around 0.5 counts/cm^2/minute/sr as demonstrated by SLACs toy setup.

The resident anti-Einstein nutter would do well to check out tourstop3.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

At least Seagate seem a bit more honest quoting .34% annual failure rate rather than some hundreds of MTBF hours ;) I can imagine 1 in 300 failing every year. I can't see the huge MTBFs as being so up front, what did they model for a million hours MTBF, powered up with no data writing?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

These days for large (>1 TB) data bases, one should really consider some 64 bit processor and 64 bit OS and a motherboard supporting a huge amount of RAM.

In such environments, large data bases are implemented as memory mapped files, i.e. as huge (multiple TB) virtual memory arrays and let the OS virtual memory mechanism perform the initial loading of a virtual memory page from disk to RAM (and use some OS virtual memory algorithm to store the page back to permanent disk storage).

The virtual memory page loading/saving is quite effective (it has to be, if a particular OS is going to survive :-), which transparently handling (index and) data caching.

Of course relying heavily on cached data in volatile RAM will require a proper UPS (to be able to write back the cache to permanent storage) and also some kind of transaction logging with commit and rollback) in case the hardware or OS fails.

These days, there is not much point in manually trying to implement intermediate caching levels e.g. by using SSDs. Just use the OS virtual memory system.

Reply to
upsidedown