?Archived? heat has reached deep into the Arctic interior

The upper ocean in the Canadian Basin has seen a two-fold increase in heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the sourc e to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming. In turn, Arctic win ds are driving the warmer water north, but below the surface waters.

rior-researchers-say

Summer temperatures of over 90oF have been recorded well inside the arctic circle this year.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I am reminded of my youth, when I went to summer camp in Mississippi, and people sat around the campfire at night, competing to tell the scariest story.

The prizes are bigger now.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

at content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the so urce to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has le ft the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming.

The 'prize' now is poor fishing in northern waters; what was it at your sum mer camp, poison ivy? Did you win?

Alaskan halibut harvest in each of the last seven years was below the lowes t recorded level for the previous quarter century. That's a few dozen millions of d ollars a year (and it's not the world figures, just Alaska).

Reply to
whit3rd

at content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the so urce to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has le ft the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming. In turn, Arctic winds are driving the warmer water north, but below the surface waters.

nterior-researchers-say

ic circle this year.

Well there is an impending methane release in the ESAS (eastern siberia arc tic shelf) that's about to blow due to loss of its ice cap. And this releas e will contain enough energy to blow the entire state of Texas clear to the moon, or so they say, I would have to see it to believe it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the source to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming. In turn, Arcti c winds are driving the warmer water north, but below the surface waters.

ctic circle this year.

rctic shelf) that's about to blow due to loss of its ice cap. And this rele ase will contain enough energy to blow the entire state of Texas clear to t he moon, or so they say, I would have to see it to believe it.

I'm feeling an impending methane release too. But it won't be nearly that much energy. :^) (sorry couldn't help myself.)

Can't we go down there and harvest the methane? Put it to good use... turn it into CO2.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

We could make better use of extracted helium and hydrogen

Reply to
bitrex

But no it's in clathrate so AFAIK there's no economical way to harvest it when it's frozen, and when it gasifies the sedimentary rock it's in is too porous it just escapes to the atmosphere.

I suggest drilling a couple million km of boreholes into it and injecting refrigerant.

Reply to
bitrex

Okay so the only engineering problem here is how do we transport it all there?

Reply to
bitrex

n heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced th e source to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice ha s left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming. In turn, Arc tic winds are driving the warmer water north, but below the surface waters.

arctic circle this year.

a arctic shelf) that's about to blow due to loss of its ice cap. And this r elease will contain enough energy to blow the entire state of Texas clear t o the moon, or so they say, I would have to see it to believe it.

hat

I don't know about hydrogen. But for helium it has to make money for the miners... There's no national helium reserve anymore, set up for our war time blimps.

Oil rigs burn off the methane. I don't have a problem asking the drillers to keep it and sell it. It could be part of the lease if it was on federal land. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

,

arly

se...

OK, if it starts coming out the the ocean we'll set up floating candles to ignite and burn it. Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's what happens when too many boats have too many giant nets.

what was it at your summer

With my pasty Irish skin, my affliction was sunburn.

There is a finite supply of fish, and the quantity caught becomes a declining function of the number of boats.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

at content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the so urce to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has le ft the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming. In turn, Arctic winds are driving the warmer water north, but below the surface waters.

nterior-researchers-say

ic circle this year.

And the stories depend on peer-reviewed research rather than the childish i magination.

John Larkin can't tell the difference (or doesn't want to bother).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the source to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming.

That can be one factor - it did for the cod harvest without any help from g lobal warming.

west

.

After the horrible example of the complete extinction of the cod fisheries

- they stopped while there were still a very few cod around, but the cod po pulation isn't showing much sign of significant recovery, as other fish hav e colonised their niche - the quantity caught is supposed to be set at a su stainable level. Sadly, the changing climate means that that sustainable le vel is lower than it used to be.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Very carefully.

Reply to
John S

Nonsense; the reason we have figures at all is that the fishery is managed, there's control of the numbers of boats. Warm water supports less oxygen content in the ocean. Look up 'jubilee fish kill' sometime. Or talk to a fisher.

Reply to
whit3rd

Bullshit it would be boiling if that had happened!

water at 373K has about 808J/g thermal energy (575 warmth and 333 fusion) another 418 J/g will heat it to boining point. OTOH if the starting point was sea ice, doubling the heat content would result in warm water.

--
     ?
Reply to

heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced the source to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice has left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming.

ummer

est recorded

dollars a year (and

We're not the only ones dependent upon those fish!

year

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's the end. We should all give up hope. You've always been ahead of us on that.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

in heat content over the past 30 years, the researchers said. They traced t he source to waters hundreds of miles to the south, where reduced sea ice h as left the surface ocean more exposed to summer solar warming.

,

r summer

lowest recorded

of dollars a year (and

ly-year

John Larkin thinks he's a puffin? He's certainly small and a bird-brain, bu t does his nose change colour in the breeding season?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Stupid question: how does one archive heat?

Reply to
Robert Baer