appropriate carrier frequency for Modulation

Hi I would like to know can anyone explain to me is there any way to figure out the appropriate carrier frequency(For modulation) for a given signal frequency response and bandwidth and channel frequency response? I mean what criteria determine the carrier frequency ? I know it should be

higher than signal frequency but by how much ? What are the techniques to find the best carrier frequency range?

For example assume we have signal frequency between 0-150 kHz and channel bandwidth 0-100kHz and I would like to modulate (lets say BPSK) the signal by a carrier,

what methods I can use to find the best carrier frequency ?

chess

Read your textbook more carefully ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:01:37 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Look how JT gives really good, helpful answers... NOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you look at the article header, a reverse DNS lookup of the

137.79.208.140 IP address resolves to wildcard.jpl.nasa.gov. My guess is all the scientists and engineers at JPL are gone for summer vacation, leaving only the student interns.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:14:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

JT needs to be interred.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Please do not post a separate thread into another group. I found a post with essentially the same contents in sci.electronics.design.

If your signal is an analog real signal with a bandwidth of 150 kHz, it will not fit into a channel of 100 kHz width.

If the signal is a bit stream, please say so.

The carrier frequency should be high enough so that no significant sideband energy goes at or below zero frequency. The design of your transmission channel can have a more stringent lower frequency limit.

--

-TV
Reply to

You really have to check trough your frequency plan, especially look for the fundamental frequencies and their harmonics and especially the sum and differences of the fundamentals and harmonics. Make sure none hits your intended frequency range.

Of course, the same applies for reception, but you may need much better attenuation to keep unwanted frequencies away from your receiver passband.

Reply to
upsidedown

JT has the correct answer, unlike your non-answer.

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:08:39 -0400, "Tom Miller" Gave us:

Whatever you say, TommyTard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

BPSK suggests that you have digitized the signal, so the number of bits and the sampling rate need to be specified.

DecadentLoser always has to throw his mouth into everything. ...Jim Thompson

it depends what you want to do with the modulated signal.

bandpass propertis of the medium.

yeah if it was lower you'd get aliasing. Higher by enough that you can filter out unwanted sidebands caused by modulator imperfections.

understand the properties of the mudoulator and the medium

I don't think it's going to fit. modulation typically perserves, or increases band-width. 100kHz is smaller than 150kHz

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

And you killfile me but not him ? Does not sound logical.

Reply to
jurb6006

Then throws his foot into his mouth. If only he'd swallow then maybe he'd disappear.

Reply to
JW

It's not his head, nor his mouth.

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:11:34 -0400, krw Gave us:

You demonstrate that you are even more retarded than they are, but you do that every time you show up in the group.