Apple Assenbly Cookbook now available as free ebook

<

Second half to appear shortly.

Additional free ebooks at

<

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

one: (928)428-4073

Interesting. Have you got anything specifically for the IIgs?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I have a whole warehouse full of IIgs computers and accessories. Some are on eBay.

Part of the reason for the IIgs failure was that the machine language development was so awkward and complex.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

phone: (928)428-4073

Is that because of the custom chips that ensured Apple II compatibilty or because of the 65816 itself? Awkward and complex describes the Commodore 128 in 128 mode. Also a bit of a failure. I think the IIgs was put aside to make room for the Mac. Too bad, it was an awesome machine. I have one, but it's in storage.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

ce phone: (928)428-4073

2

It was commonly called the Apple 2 goat shit by software coders back then in Minneapolis.

I always wondered why they were so harsh about it, but your comments explain it partly.

Reply to
Greegor

Thanks, Don!

-michael

NadaNet 3.1 for Apple II parallel computing! Home page:

"The wastebasket is our most important design tool--and it's seriously underused."

Reply to
Michael J. Mahon

OK, but I think a larger reason was that the Mac was already out and within Apple there was a struggle for resources between the IIgs guys and the Mac guys... and management was much more on the side of the Mac guys.

Commodore had a somewhat similar situation with the Commodore 128D, having come out after the Amiga was already available. I kind of think of the IIgs and the 128D as two of the pinnacles of 8-bit computing (yeah, I know, neither was strictly a 8-bit machine -- the 65816 of the IIgs having a 16-bit mode and the 128D having a separate Z80 CPU --, but close enough), even if they were largely unknown by the masses who had moved on to the more advanced technology of Macs and Amigas.

Even today, when you look at the hardware resources available, something like an Apple IIgs running GS/OS and a Commodore 128D running GEOS is pretty impressive.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Thank you, Don, a great contribution to the Apple II preservation process, antoine

Reply to
Toinet

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The crucial question remains:

Is there hardware to get a USB capability to dramatically simplify translating disk files?

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

I'm not exactly sure what capabilities you are wishing for, but there is a device to connect a standard TEAC 5.25" drive to a PC's USB port for imaging standard formatted Apple 5.25" disks--the FC5025.

It is more difficult to capture the "back" side of a "flippy" disk, but with appropriate modifications to the drive or the disk, that can also be done.

-michael

NadaNet 3.1 for Apple II parallel computing! Home page:

"The wastebasket is our most important design tool--and it's seriously underused."

Reply to
Michael J. Mahon

I'm hoping Willegal has a breakthrough with his project.

Sean Fahey