AoE x-Chapters, 45 years of power MOSFETs

A new section from the AoE x-Chapters book, for you to read, enjoy, and make comments.

A 30-Year MOSFET Saga, The next 15 years, and Four kinds of power MOSFETs.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Win, thanks for putting this out - it clears up many questions I had about MOSFETs!

At this time I can only enjoy and appreciate the work you did!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Chapter 3x is the x-Chapter continuation of Chapter 3 in AoE III, about JFETs, MOSFETs, IGBTs. Chapter 3x is filled with advanced practical design information, application- oriented theory, especially for linear use of power MOSFETS, graphs and measurements, and interesting, unusual design examples.

Selecting the right part is a big part of this type of engineering, and this section 3x.11 is a guide to differences and choices.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

A quick skim. A few of the tables look to have an error in the last row where instead of listing IRF8xx it says IRF6xx (6 not 8)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Hey, you are right, thanks! And that was in the section reviewed by our copy-editor, showing it needs to be reviewed by (multiple) engineers! Keep looking!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There seems to be some confusion wrt the Tc vs TJ. in the text you write sthg about the case temp at 100 C but the table says Tj.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

I'd love to, but the browser crashed: ".pdf files are supported but something went wrong." Funny, it displayed it ok for a couple of seconds, then promptly fell over. Happens on each attempt.

Cursitor Doom

You're better off downloading the file, rather than trying to view it in a browser. Try from the folder level.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

OK, thanks, very good catch. Text on file page 3, "IR also provided an additional conservative spec in its datasheets, maximum drain current at a case temperature TC = 100 deg C (also a calculated value)."

The table was supposed to also be Tc = 100C, not Tj. I checked for that issue in the rest of the text.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Who was it that made medium-power VMOS fets before the IRF things?

I remember when IR made selenium rectifiers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think, Siliconix. I have an old Siliconix databook someplace, couldn't locate it just now. Hardcover Siliconix MOSPOWER Applicatiosns book is dated 1984, features IRF part numbers for the more beefy parts.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

No mention of RF Mosfets?

New radio designs are moving to Mosfet PA's.

Martin Riddle

You can download the file and view off-line by changing the URL's terminal "dl=0" to "dl=1"

Jasen Betts

THAT worked! Thanks.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

THAT would be interesting. How about it, Win?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yep, that's beyond the scope of our book.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

DMOS I think are those RF ones.

Siliconix and I think Toshiba both made early VMOS FETs I think.

Tried them in a class AB audio amplifier in the late 1970s when they were first available. Worked OK. Haffler made amps from those early FETs too.

Reply to
boB

In detail I've no doubt it would be! But just a summary overview in passing wouldn't hurt, shirley?

Cursitor Doom

I think VMOS was a v-shaped notch etched through n-p-n layers, with the gate deposited in the notch, so the current flow was vertical. IR extended that idea to many cells, like an IC. That was the hexfet, with 6-sided cells. Then as I recall Motorola or someone did the same thing, but with square cells.

lunatic fringe electronics

GaN fets are wildly better than any mos parts.

lunatic fringe electronics