AoE x-Chapters, 1.5kV 1us precision ramp

Here's an interesting circuit problem, make a precision 1.5kV 1500V/us ramp, good to 1%.

It features a HV MOSFET current source with a feedback circuit to maintain a constant output slew rate. Related to the thread, "op-amp-controlled MOSFET cucrrent-source", the circuit uses a BUF634 gate driver, but without any "R2 C2" loop feedback elements.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Neat footnote about the 5D21. As might be expected, the Japanese have beaten them into plowshares for the golden-ear crowd: (

).

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

At first glance its amazing they'd use a 20kV 15A tube for a hi-fi amp, but then the 15A part of the spec perhaps reveals the reason. I purchased some 5D21 on eBay, and was preparing to use them in the 10kV ramp, but then noticed the 26V 2A = 52 watts filament requirement, and shifted my thinking to a set of ten cascode HV MOSFETs. Haha, I noticed in the video they had a separate heater-supply box in the shelf below the two amplifiers.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win