AoE III price lowered another $10

Amazon has just lowered the price of the Art of Electronics 3rd edition by another $10, to $93. Who knows how long they'll keep it at this lower price.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

ice.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, isn't that amazing? I wonder what it costs to ship one from England to the U.S.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

the cheapest one says "dispatched from Illinois, USA" :)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Does the amazon.co.uk price include VAT? ...Jim Thompson

yes, it is including UK VAT. Here you cannot advertise prices excluding VAT if most of you costumer have to pay it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Win,

Is that the version with all of the known errors corrected? (3rd printing, IIRC.)

Lasse,

AFAIK Amazon UK omits the shipping cost to its American customers. Shipping ought to be minimal beings all of the books seem to ship from ?Illinois? OTOH what ought-to-be and what-is frequently differ. Perhaps Amazon UK isn't cheaper after shipping is included?

Thank you,

--
 ,-.                                 Give More expect less Love More
 \_/                                 argue less Listen More talk less

[snip]

When can we be assured that ordering from Amazon will deliver the 3rd Edition? ...Jim Thompson

Make that "3rd Printing" :-( ...Jim Thompson

ice.

kinda related, Ladyada interview with Paul Horowitz - The Art of Electronic s

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

To match B&N's price. ...Jim Thompson

Did you update the student lab manual? I found the old manual to be more clear on a couple of points than the book.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That's being done by Tom Hayes, expected maybe by year-end.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Not sure, so I ordered a copy from Amazon this morning to find out, I'll report back.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Amazon UK may be cheaper because they're losing business owing to lots of press reports about tax avoidance here.

And there's no VAT on books in the UK.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

My Amazon pre-ordered copy wound up being $77, due to a dip in the expected price before shipping.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There is no VAT on books in the UK, unless their government has just changed it (which I wouldn't put past them).

Also in the UK (and EU generally) there is no VAT on anything with a delivery address outside the EU anyway. Some merchants don't know this or can't be bothered to fill in the forms differently, or are pretending not to know it and pocketing the money, not sure which.

Sometimes I end up paying VAT on stuff from Farnell UK because their UK head office would refuse to sell and send it to me in Australia where they also have a local office that charges much higher prices. I have to get it delivered to somewhere in the UK and then re-ship it, but the UK price plus VAT is spectacularly cheaper than the price from the local element14, on some items.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Is there any chance for a german translation of AoE 3rdEd? Have you heard something respectively?

I have Part(Book...) 1 Chapter I-VII (printing 8) and Part 2 Chapter VIII-XV (printing 6), both 2ndEd and in german language. The translation done by ELEKTOR (German Magazine) was/is, as for my english knowledge, almost perfect! Thanks.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

It's good to hear you liked the German translation. I had heard only negative comments previously. I have often wondered how our various idioms and snide remarks are translated.

As you know, translations are large projects initiated by someone other than we authors and our publishers. I have not yet heard of any AoE-III translation projects being discussed.

For the 2nd edition all the translations were two or three books in size. And the projects took multiple years to accomplish. The 3rd edition is even larger than the 2nd.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The translation is comprehensive and involved IMHO.

I have read some of that comments too, but they are IMO due to a lack of knowledge in Electronics at all ;-)

Me thinks AoE 2ndEd has been translated by a native german speaker, who knows the right technical-words in german and even more. Other languages than german might be harder to translate, especially with technical-terms.

Very well.

It's virtually (as good as) purchased...

Kind regards

Daniel Mandic

Reply to
Daniel Mandic