Anyone?

The thing is, they don't get it. They could have what they're seeking right there in their own countries--there's no need for them to come here to have what we have. What they're looking for isn't in our soil. There's nothing special about this patch of dirt.

The magic is fully documented. Public domain. Anyone could copy it. But they don't.

Which is kind of amazing.

America is an IDEA. It's an idea for a government and a society (which is why it's so crucial that immigrants understand and agree with it). America's the idea that ordinary men can chart their own courses, and even rule themselves.

(Distributed intelligence of the many is *so* much more efficient than centralized control by fatheads.)

*Liberty*, plus not stealing from one another (aka the rule of law)--*that's* the magic.

America in a nutshell: If you guarantee people can keep what they make, they'll burn the midnight oil creating great things never imagined.

Meanwhile, in Haiti, the could-be inventor is full-up just trying to keep someone from stealing his cow.

Which is why they're Haiti. If we did like them, we'd be Haiti too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

He said that in a private meeting where it would've done no harm, and should have stayed.

I find it unfortunate that the President has to deal with people who can't be trusted or spoken to frankly, not even in private.

One of them leaked this to intentionally cause others pain and distress, hoping to damage the President.

That's a man of low character, there.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Maybe if you didn't live in a shithole, citizens would want to live in your neighborhood.

But you'd rather have the kids of people from shithole countries get jobs than your kids. Nice.

If you're middle class, you'll pay a lot less than that. I estimate between $4K and $6K. I don't have a million dollar mortgage (none) or live in a leftist shithole state, though.

Reply to
krw

In this political climate, we can't deport people with a dozen felony convictions and have been deported a dozen times already. Just say no to 'em all.

Jail anyone who hires an illegal. Period.

Reply to
krw

Me? Hell no! I think it's funny as hell. Let the lefties heads spin. Wind 'em up some more!

Reply to
krw

NO, dumb shit! The Norks are trying to keep people *IN*. A lefty might not know the difference between a MEN's room and a WOMEN's room but even a moron knows the difference between IN and OUT.

Reply to
krw

YEE - HAAAAA......... cue banjo music.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Cursitor Doom propagating another invented right-wing myth.

We've known how to mimimise hospital-acquired infections since Semmelweis

The people who come in contact with the patients (which doesn't include the ward cleaners) have to wash their hands just before they touch the patient and have to wash them again again as soon as the interaction is over.

Nurses can be bullied into this sort of obsessive-compulsive hand-washing, but doctors are harder to influence. Current NHS guidelines do emphasise that they do have to wash their hands frequently, but getting them to actually do it is tricky.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If we keep bringing them in and not forcing assimilation, we'll be Haiti too.

Reply to
krw

No individual is going to change the culture of an entire country. If I lived with my family in some nasty hellhole, I'd want to bail and get into the USA or Sweden or somewhere better. I don't blame people for trying.

A southern wall, and better border security, could let the good ones in and keep/toss the thugs out, in a more controlled manner.

What's special about this turf is that we inherited a tradition of English common law and culture, and improved on it, and have mostly kept up that tradition.

lunatic fringe electronics

El

ight

ave

Only an ignorant and one-eyed enthusiast for anything American could see th e American approach to English common law as an improvement. The US is a me ss, and in dire need of tidying up. Trump is the US Chavez - ostentatious e vidence of terminal decline - and no more likely to improve anything.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Whoa, how did you determine a derivative of that fraction? And, why?

Reply to
whit3rd

No, that's only ONE inherited tradition. Logic came from Greece, order and law from Rome, algebra from the mideast, pasta from China, paper from Egypt, coffee from Ethiopia... and hosts of other traditions are untraceable (weaving of cloth? tanning of leather? Stitchery? Knit socks?)

We all get enriched by a variety of inputs, there's no national border to define which bits are 'the good stuff'.

Looking for correlation of virtue with skin color... is known not to work. Didn't stop people trying, but killed and impoverished a few.

Looking for correlation of virtue with religion... is known not to work. Didn't stop people trying, but killed and impoverished a few.

Looking for correlation with nation-of-birth isn't known to work. I'm not seeing an upside to trying.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well said.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The comments wouldn't have done much harm if they hadn't been reported, but they would set a poor tone for future internal discussions.

The person that leaked the private meeting is a low-life.

So was that woman who dragged the young intern's reputation through the mud a couple of decades ago.

Trump is a schoolyard bully.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

correct

those 2 are the PC view, but unforrtunately there are some real differences between crime rates in differing countries. Why? People respond to their surroundings, and the surroundings differ greatly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, and when they're not stealing anything not nailed-down, they're practicing voodoo. Culturally and morally totally incompatible with any Western country. How anyone could imagine the typical Haitian has anything to offer a civilised country is beyond me.

Cursitor Doom

You can strike Sweden off your list for the foreseeable future, I'm sorry to say.

Cursitor Doom

So Magna Carta doesn't figure anywhere, then. I take it you believe the Constitution is, to quote Dubya, "just a goddamned piece of paper."

Cursitor Doom

Not necessarily. You're not taking productivity into account here.

Cursitor Doom