Anyone?

I wonder if Melania Trump would be allowed in now?

Back in the 80s Prolog (remember that?) was used to encode the draft British Nationalities Act. Some claim that it was able to show that the Duke of Edinburgh (Liz's hubbie) would not have been British.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

:)

As an engineer I look very carefully at how systems (of all kinds) fail. I wish more software had that attitude.

I also have a general attitude of "there but the grace of god go I".

Add in that I have too many (very nice) lawyers and judges (and an ex-copper) in the family, and it leads to me being less than sanguine about legal systems.

All legal systems make mistakes; anything that makes it more difficult to correct mistakes is to be deprecated.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's a tragedy for non-immigrants too :(

Wasn't it Roosevelt that was determined not to have "hyphenated Americans"?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Which is precisely what happened when the UK NHS brought over a load of African cleaners in an attempt to eliminate hospital-acquired infections. Funny thing was, though, that infection rates in both UK and African hospitals reached epidemic levels following that move! :(

Cursitor Doom

How about, "never been *suspected* of any criminal activity and young and fit enough to not be a burden on the state for at least another 40 years."?

Cursitor Doom

That's all very laudable I'm sure, but it will result in a *much* longer selection process to find the job candidates that really *can* do the job. IOW, that approach isn't viable.

Cursitor Doom

Reply to
bitrex

It seems all the clarity and sense of purpose he showed in the studio debates has largely gone - and it went surprisingly early. I noted the sudden switch from staunch anti-NATO to "I guess it's not so bad" during the short span of May's visit and there have been many more instances of flip-flopping on core principles since. Sigh....

Cursitor Doom

Bill you have posted the same old thing about the spirit level 5 times in this thread alone. Can't you find something new?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's sort of like saying the "solution" to the police racially profiling citizens is that they just shouldn't do that anymore. Well, okay.

Reply to
bitrex

Trump isn't flip-flopping on core principles. He's well known to have been an unprincipled rogue and a liar throughout his career, and it's pure wishful thinking to imagine that he ever had any principles at all.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If anybody went to the trouble of reading it, I might stop reminding Americans that they live in a very inegalitarian country, and that their high levels of inequality seems to be strongly correlated with a bunch of undesirable social consequences.

James Arthur once went to the trouble of digging out some far-right-wing review of the book (and the review quite missed the point of the book) but that's a close as I've come to eliciting a reaction.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There are plenty of perfectly nice American immigrants living here, and I don't think this should be stopped.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

More evidence that you're not only stupid but also insane. But don't feel too bad, most lefties are.

Reply to
krw

Marriage visas are still available but sometimes difficult, so the answer is obvious.

Reply to
krw

Yet will compete for a job with someone already in the US.

Reply to
krw

It's perfectly within your rights to exclude them. Now, bugger off WRT our immigration policy.

Reply to
krw

There is nothing wrong with profiling, per se. You do it every day.

Reply to
krw

:

e:

te:

ries?

ion?

ose

ps if

sed

t-

t the UK is well on the way to being as bad.

d finds it lovely, helped by propaganda from the Daily Mail and Russia Toda y. He lacks the wit to realise that he is being taken for a sucker.

in this thread alone. Can't you find something new?

icans that they live in a very inegalitarian country, and that their high l evels of inequality seems to be strongly correlated with a bunch of undesir able social consequences.

review of the book (and the review quite missed the point of the book) but that's a close as I've come to eliciting a reaction.

Supposedly doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different res ult is an indication of insanity. Do you really think that posting again a nd again about the Spirit Level is worthwhile? And do you really think tha t correlation means cause and effect?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

He is coarse and crude, but he has a point. There are countries where the majority of the population, especially women, are illiterate. Where FGM is normal and gang rape is a team sport. Where tribes and religions have been at war for a thousand years.

A billion people would emigrate to Europe or to the USA if they could. We don't want all of them.

lunatic fringe electronics