Anyone?

Which might be a valid objection, if Jim had any statistics.

The defect in his argument is that the US is a shithole country on a quite a few measures, and the evidence for that claim was assembled from statistical data, by a pair of medical epidemiologists.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson won't take this seriously because he hasn't got a clue about statistics - why else would he appeal to statistics without quoting any - but it does nail him nicely.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you had any way of measuring it. The US has Trump as a president, so their way of measuring merit isn't up to much.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

es?

n?

the-rule-of-law/

ires

They aren't trying to dictate to you, merely giving advice.

The US has a lot too much power in world for it's antics to be none of our business. We all have an interest in it not making idiotic mistakes, like i nvading Irak or electing Trump as president.

Why? Would it solve the problems you are having with immigrants who are in the US already?

most_Always_Do_Better

makes it perfectly clear that the US is in much worse decline than the Nort hern European nations - the UK is closer to the UK on inequality and shares more of it's unfortunate social consequences than France, Germany, the Net herlands and Scandinavia. It's also a matter of anecdotal fact that norther n European have stopped emigrating to the US, because it's a rotten place t o bring up kids. They are happy to work there for a couple of years, becaus e it polishes their English, and some bits of academic and technical Americ a are still the best in the world (but not as many as used to be), but livi ng out your life there is less attractive.

Why? The US system is essentially the UK common-law system. Most of Europe works on the Napoleonic code. Both system evolved out of Judaic law, but so did the Muslim system.

You need a theocratic state to get that, which is another can of worms.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

demonstrates that the US is a highly inegalitarian shit hole, and that the UK is well on the way to being as bad.

Curistor Doom is an intestinal worm looking at his own environment and finding it lovely, helped by propaganda from the Daily Mail and Russia Today. He lacks the wit to realise that he is being taken for a sucker.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We should allow immigration to anyone who has a job, a place to live, no criminal arrests, no associations with criminals and has achieved US citizenship.

Reply to
mike

You didn't. And even managed to produce you own home-grown brand of drug-re sistant TB in the process of not eliminating it.

So what? It's a treatable chronic disease these days.

Not much of a career. US minimum wage levels are remarkably low.

Who should have been retrained to do more demanding work, but the US educat ion system now demands a lot of money to retrain anybody, and the US isn't into investing money in making workers more productive. If the worker has t he money to invest in making themselves more productive, somebody will sell them that training, but that doesn't help the unemployed.

And shouldn't need.

What "other part"? The part of the US that sees kids as Columbian or Haitia n because that's where their parents came from?

Interesting claim. No place that hasn't got a Democratic Party has any kind of problem with immigrants?

A more objective observer might note that places like Sweden that spend eno ugh on "Democratic social engineering" to do it right, get pretty good resu lts out of it. The immigrants in Sweden whose antics are being publicised b y the far-right haven't been exposed to that kind of social engineering for long enough for it to have had a chance to work.

Tom Del Rosso thinks that there's a message there to be communicated becaus e he can't think straight and thinks that there are a whole lot of others w ho are susceptible to the same ill-informed nonsense.

Sadly, the ill-informed pick all sorts of different kinds of mis-informatio n. Some themes come up more frequently - strangers are suspect is common - but you get misinformed by picking on random facts.

in a

Probably not. Conservative don't want things to chance, and the world keeps changing despite their best efforts.

Tom Del Rosso has managed to grasp one obvious fact.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

To quote myself:

...until all the immigrants we have, have been assimilated.

Reply to
krw

I have no problem with US citizens immigrating to the US. (huh?) OTOH, I guess you'd deport anyone without a job and all the homeless, citizen or not? OK, I guess that works.

Reply to
krw

It's a little more than that. The Rs want cheap labor and don't understand that they'll never retain any power if the doors are thrown open.

Why? If we need laborers, they can be brought in on (temporary) visas.

If you keep voting for snowflake lefties, it'll go up a lot faster than you can grow kids.

Reply to
krw

The filling process started circa 1620

Reply to
bitrex

My point is that some people won't let them assimilate in 20 years or ever.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

America is a great place to hustle and own a bunch of guns. So it attracts people who want to hustle and own a bunch of guns. QED

Reply to
bitrex

Sure. If they're self-sufficient, can contribute, and want to become one of us, great.

From traveling the world, countries are what they are because of the theories and candidates they've voted for, because of their philosophy of government; the way they've organized their society.

If they're coming here to cash in on our success but still live according to--and bring--the customs and political ideas along that made their countries fail, no thanks.

If all of Mexico moved here and we moved there, the U.S. would soon be the new Mexico, and illegal immigrants would be crossing the Rio Grande going south instead of north.

Correction: weenie maybe, but not a snowflake. Snowflakes don't split wood.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I can go with that. It's now complete.

Reply to
krw

Well you said one thing today that made sense. Miracles do happen but it's not in the above.

Reply to
krw

That works, too.

Reply to
krw

Arrests? do you mean convictions? Do you actually understand what you wrote? or is that just right-wing feel-good fuzzy thinking.

So any american who goes overseas and commits a crime will not be allowed back in? or do means something else?

Jasen Betts

The 'achieved US citizenship' proviso is a common declaration of human rights line item. Whittling away at that would make our nation a human rights violator.

As for the rest, you'd never get immigrants like Steinmetz (AC made practical), Tesla, Fermi (nuclear fission made practical), Faggin (first microprocessors)...

You lose, bigtime. Walls are unproductive, if you cared about things like that...

Reply to
whit3rd

old:

te:

tries?

oes nice

d with his

sent.

ration

ry.

ies.

Krw thinks that America is now perfect, exactly the way it is.

People who can manage joined up thinking have their doubts.

most_Always_Do_Better

Krw won't read it. He rails about other people being illiterate, even when they are posting to a text-only use-group, but shows no sign of ever having read a book for himself.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

?

nd is an artist to boot. So our offices are decorated with his

of

ries

nt;

tries

James Arthur hasn't noticed that his country is failing

most_Always_Do_Better

and when it's brought to his attention he goes into denial.

The population of Mexico is 130 million, and the population of the US is 32

6 million. If they were swapped overnight, the Mexicans in the US would be run off their feet trying to keep the infra-structure working, and American s in Mexico would be starving to death because the Mexican infra-structure couldn't get food to them fast enough.

James Arthur neglects this significant point in favour of some imagined vir tue ingrained into the American soul (his own included) which would transce nd pure material limitation and conjure food out of the constitution.

In other words, he's off his head.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to