Anybody know a decent scanner that works in Linux?

Anybody know a decent scanner that works in Linux? Preferably not Canon.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have heard good things about HP.

The one I have (which brand I can't remember, and it's in a different room) works quite well, except that it has a driver file that has to be hunted down from the install media and put into the Linux installation.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Am 29.03.2010 16:58, schrieb Jan Panteltje:

I just installed (Yast scanner->works) a HP 5400c. 1¤ from ebay.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Jan Panteltje a écrit :

Agfa. Snapscan Touch 1230 IIRC Gone with the ex. Too bad... I mean the scanner :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Jan Panteltje wibbled on Monday 29 March 2010 15:58

HP are quite good, if it's supported by HPLIP:

I have a Photosmart C6100 3-in-1 printer which supports scanning over ethernet & WIFI as well as USB.

I agree about the Canons - I chose and supported the ImageRunners (big things) under linux at a previous place. Nice machines and fairly student resistant, but it was hard work tweaking the finer points like duplex, stapling etc (we had the postscript interpreter option to make like easier). It was only because we wanted 8 or so of the machines that the rep made sure I had direct access to the 3rd line support from whence came many mini- cookbooks of obscure codes (mostly a bastardised PJL ripoff, but you had to get the order right in some cases in non intuitive ways).

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

epsons work great jfgi

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I have an HP C5280 all in one PSC that works fine with sane.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I've been using a cheapo Mustek 1240UB for years. Works fine. Uses the GT68XX SANE driver. 1200 DPS maximum, color, grayscale, and 1-bit B&W.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:05:35 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Hi, OK, yes I had a Mustek DVD player, it was mechanically and electrically 'feeble'. So I put it with the trash. I did play anything though, but started damaging my disks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:55:13 +0100) it happened Tim Watts wrote in :

OK, here what happened, I needed to do some paperwork and make copies.. So I normally use my canoscan 3000ex scanner on an old Win98 install, and then print in Linux or windows for the copies on my Epson R200, with continuous ink system, as that costs next to nothing. I had planned an hour to do the paperwork, but the Canon scanner no longer was recognised in windows. Now 5 hours later, after taking apart the scanner, my hole schedule messed up, a driver re-install fixed it in windows. Why re-install? I had not even used it for maybe month! So Billy The Gates is not welcome here, unless he pays me for extra time. (time wasted). That MS OS is probably the largest source of irritation in this universe, and possibly, or likely the cause of the biggest drop in real industrial output. So, anyways, Canon driver, Canon is very good optically, but they should really support Linux, as MS soft will give them a lousy image.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:56:08 -0500) it happened AZ Nomad wrote in :

That depends, the Epson scanners I can get here at reasonable price need a driver that so far does not compile, misses header files, and is not even totally free.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:42:18 +0100) it happened Ian Bell wrote in :

Yep. I am looking at HP too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Probably for the old, good SCSI ones, but there probably were not a bunch of generic OEM "print engine" style makers out there that all conformed to the same hardware/comm layer standards. So you center around brand families that ever had Linux support.

There are standards for the finished file, so at least that translation gets/got followed. Run it from within a windows emulator.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Applying information technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:56:16 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

No what I ment is: 'Does anybody have a decent scanner working in Linux?' I got some good replies. I already did the research and came up with nothing I can buy new TODAY here that works, in the below 100 Euro price range. And that is still the case.

However, regarding the problems with my canoscan 3000ex in win 98, I realised the math of it this morning: say windows is 600 MB (a CD) add some 100 applications of each 100 MB (their install CD), or basically a 40 GB disk full with MS related stuff, that makes

4 G x 8 bits. So, the chances of hitting the configuration where it all works (all bits right) is 1 / 32 G or less then 1 / atoms in the universe. So it cannot work:-) Now I can have peace with that :-) LOL
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:09:37 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Yea, none of those you can buy today in my price range, that do what I want it to do.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What you really mean is "are there any decent scanners that have available Linux drivers". Am sure there are a fair number of decent scanners... Pick one you like, find the maker on the web, check for a driver or ask. Next see if there is a 3rd party driver.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Getting my Brother MFC-420CN All-In-One running in SuSE 10.2 required downloading drivers from the manufacturer, also runs fine under Ubuntu

9.04. Both systems connect to the scanner through its network port.

I picked up a Canon LanoScan LiDE 50 for $5 at a local thrift shop, found a USB cable, and had no trouble getting it running under Ubuntu

9.04. It's light, USB-powered, and I can stack it in a bookshelf when I'm not using it.

YMMV.

Frank McKenney

-- "Provide me with ships or proper sails for the celestial atmosphere and there will be men there, too, who do not fear the appalling distance" -- Johannes Kepler

-- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)

Reply to
Frnak McKenney