any disadvantage to using voltage doubler or tripler ?

supply imedance goes right up, ie the regulation is crap. bulk cost

there

If you use 2 with the secondaries in series, you've probably got what you need in the junkbox. A pair of 28v TFs, 14-0-14. Use 24v ones and add some extra turns... an option anyway.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Assuming you want to run this off 120VAC, one way to get a transformer would be to buy a 220:120 transformer. NOT AUTOTRANSFORMER. Connect the 120VAC to the 220 winding, and get abot half of that off the 120 secondary. If these exist, they should be cheap at your power rating.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Starting at the beginning: To get about 80 volts DC you need about 56 volts AC. There are 56 volt transformers available from Digikey. MT2236, 56 volts@ 0.22 amp for example:

Putting a full wave rectifier and capacitor across this would give you about 80 volts. If you need .1 amp on both 80 volt supplies, you should probably use two of these and stack the DC outputs.

You could use a 56 volt secondary and the doubler in fig 1.78 and use the junction of the two caps as the zero volt point, but if the loads on the + and - supplies are not equal, there will be DC in the transformer secondary, and that will cause the transformer to get hot. You would need a transformer rated for about .4 to .5 amps to provide .1 amp across the full 160 volts.

You can also use a 28 volt transformer and the circuit from Figure

1.78 to provide one of the 80 volt outputs. This transformer should also be rated for at least .4 amps. A second transformer and doubler could provide the other 80 volt supply.

The circuit in figure 1.79a can provide both positive and negative supplies from a single 28 volt winding (rated for at least .8 ampere) if two copies of the capacitor diode network are connected to the ungrounded end of the secondary. You will have to reverse the connections on the capacitors and diodes for one of the copies.

The gotcha here is to find an input capacitor (the one connected to the secondary) rated for a ripple current of at least twice the load current (three times would be better. So no cheapies, here.

Keep in mind that doublers tend to have at least twice the ripple voltage for a given capacitor size compared to normal full wave rectifier filters do. So be generous on the capacitor values.

Reply to
John Popelish

Is there any down side to using a doubler or tripler to get a higher output voltage out of a standard AC power transformer?

I want to get about +80 and -80V at 0.1A from a power supply, but there are very few transformers available in that output range. There are some in the 36VAC and 24VAC CT range, so if I use a doubler like in "Art of Electronics" (2nd edition, pages 47 and page 48), I can get my desired voltage. This is an educational project so I am only building one or two, so it doesn't matter at all that I'd have to buy more diodes... they are easy to get compared to an odd transformer.

Is it better to use the one in Fig 1.78 or the one in Fig 1.79? If I use the one in Fig 1.79 I can get both the + and - voltages from a single transformer.

If someone can share their experiences I'd be grateful.

Reply to
mw

I read in sci.electronics.design that mw wrote (in ) about 'any disadvantage to using voltage doubler or tripler ?', on Tue, 26 Apr 2005:

The diodes are no problem but there are cost and size issues with the capacitors.

Also, the source impedance of a multiplier is higher than for a normal rectifier.

A 60 V secondary (loaded voltage) will give you nearly 83 V DC.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

trouble