any chance to turn Nuclear reactors around with a safer Reactor

The gas-cooled ones are all retired at this point, looks like. The PWR designs they use now trace back to the Westinghouse PWR design, a la the now-retired Yankee Atomic power plant in Western MA that was the first of its kind in the US in 1960:

Reply to
bitrex

A bizarre delusion, even for John Larkin. Greenies haven't got the political clout to make nuclear power plants even more expensive than they are now.

The politicians who insisted on stringent safety requirements were driven by general public anxiety which had reacted to events like the Windscale fire

not to mention Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukishima.

Nuclear reactors are potentially dangerous, like pretty much every power generating scheme, but the disasters do get publicised.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They shouldn't. Burning natural gas does dump about half as much CO2 into the atmosphere per kWhour generated as burning coal, but it still dumps more than we can afford.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Tree huggers don't want to take us back to the stone age. They just want everything to be exactly the same as it always was. Cursitor Doom style conservatives, in other words.

And just like Cursitor Doom, they don't know enough to realise that the past they long to restore wasn't the way they like to think it was, and that the present that they want to preserve isn't actually sustainable.

Brexit was driven by the political equivalent of that sort of tree-hugger.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Granted.

Why did you react at all then?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Copper isn't so dense, but move it fast and plasma-tize it and it penetrates a LOT of ordinarily hard and dense materials.

Du has similar heat up and slice through capacity. It does not need to be a plasma, but still penetrates very hot. Probably cheaper than copper at that level too.

Copper like explosive force to render it into a plasma. A shaped charge at the tip of an RPG for example.

DU likely is a boattail shaped projectile that merely enjoys the velocity that dense an object is sent downrange at. It punches through armor and spatters once inside

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:qg41vg$nsk$4 @dont-email.me:

Stop quoting the headers, you RETARDED TWIT!

His post and his headers can easily be seen in HIS POST.

We do not need the childish mental aged, adult physical aged John Doe the Usenet total retard mucking up the group with your stupid behavior.

Damn you are stupid, PUTZ!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:9d9dcd40-83b0-4c95-8d96- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

TraderTard4's logic is beyond retarded.

You take lack of intelligence to an all new low.

You sit right at the bottom of the total retard totem pole, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I'd fire parcels of it off to Jupiter.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That would be high dude, you f***ed up again.

Reply to
jurb6006

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:78406294-a394-46b4-8679- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The BOTTOM of the stupidity totem pole is where you reside, child.

And I will BET you don't know shit about totem poles or positions thereon either. So we'll see more of your utter stupidity soon on that one too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

t least after the Balkan war, there were questions of destroyed tanks containing some strongly radiating isotopes in the dust that are only produced in a nuclear reactor, not in processed natural uranium. When a group of people tried to bring evidences to the IAEA, they were arrested, since they were handling some highly radioactive material. That should not have happened, if the dust was truly DU.

Reply to
upsidedown

That accurate bookkeeping may be true for civilian nuclear users, but do we really know, what the US government is doing ? ,

Reply to
upsidedown

Depleted Uranium is still radioactive.

4 billion year half life, vs ~0.7 billion years for U-235.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No. Some documentary on telly in the early 2000s claimed spent DU rounds were more radioactive than they should have been.

The thing is spent fuel goes to reprocessing, and that's the same sort of equipment as used for enrichment so it's conceivable that there could be cross-contamination or deliberate malfeasance.

Not sure I believe this one:

Guardian seems to be on the ball though,

Jasen Betts

OK, the claim is that it contains some U236, not that it's much more radioactive. That explains how it could end up in ammunition without being detected.

I singled out this incongruous quote from the Guardian article: "Asked if he was warned about DU weapons - fired by British tanks as well as American armour and aircraft during the Gulf war - Sir Peter said: "I was not aware there were any specific dangers to it."

Of course not. DU weapons are perfectly safe. No danger at all. One marvels at the mindset that comes up with a statement like that, and thinks it sane.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Nice editing job, totally deleting everything. Which of course is what you have to do, because otherwise people would see that what I said was true and you are once again wrong. Always wrong.

Reply to
trader4

If one believes a film made about the accident, the bodies were so badly contaminated that the doctors performing the obduction, had to use special precautions, not to get contaminated themselves.

If the three men made had escaped the explosion, would they have killed by the radiation ?

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:378f6f25-fb8b-422d-863c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Go away, little boy. You know nothing about it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:378f6f25-fb8b-422d-863c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Perhaps you should get the f*ck out of the thread with your bullshit declarations.

It would be such a joy to mash your mouth... with a two pound sledge. Maybe about ten times, being sure to 'miss high' and catch you in the temple a couple times.