Another Silicon Valley Institution, HSC (Halted Specialties Company) Closes Its Doors.

I stopped by HSC yesterday. It was packed. They had a spread of food, and a book to write comments in.

In 2018 Weird Stuff Warehouse closed though I was never much of a fan of that store.

I think that some of the items for sale at HSC had been there for several decades. I used to go there when they were on Evelyn, then they moved to Ryder Street, and finally to Corvin.

Reply to
sms

The real estate is too valuable now for low dollars-per-square-foot business. The customer base is probably changing in the wrong direction too.

Weird Stuff was mostly old PC junk.

Haltek and Halted and Mike Quinn had real electronics! I guess it's all on ebay now.

lunatic fringe electronics

Stores like that seem to come and go. "Quirky" is usually code for "The employees/management are smug unhelpful jerks and the prices are too high."

Most of the times I've gone into a store like the above WeirdStuff I leave with nothing other than puzzlement as to how they're still in business

Inventory sitting on shelf for decades isn't a recipe for success. I see they've marked the Teac tape deck down to $50 for the going-out-of-business sale which is about what an unserviced Teac stereo reel-to-reel from the 70s is actually worth.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, also stores like Montgomery Wards, Toys 'r 'Us, Sears... I really miss the J&J Auto Parts place; my next-best option is eBay.

Reply to
whit3rd

For auto parts, check out RockAuto. Low prices, fast shipping, very wide selections. I have been extremely pleased with their performance. Only one mistake on a 2003 Ford Focus cylinder temperature gauge. Their offering had nothing to do with the actual part. So check carefully.

Steve Wilson