another pi/pie story

Last Sunday, exactly a week after pi day, I decided to cook one on my semi-famous fruit pies, peach and blueberry. I was upstairs reading "The Armada" by Mattingly, a really good book, and running downstairs every few minutes to check on my pie. One of those runs down the stairs went amiss. Mo heard a huge crash and thought it was an earthquake, but it was me. She found me at the bottom, crumpled up in a pool of blood, so grabbed a phone and started CPR and called 911. The 911 lady managed to turn on her speakerphone function remotely, somehow, and talked to her throughout. Saved my life, probably. The EMTs showed up in ten minutes and carted me off, and Mo remembered to turn the oven off before leaving but didn't remove the pie until late that night (they wouldn't let her stay overnight in Intensive Care.)

Bottom line: the oven and the pie gradually cooled to room temp, and the pie is magnificent, best I've ever baked, beautifully creamy inside, and the crust is great.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wow. I'm glad you're able to write about it. Hope you get back to 100% soon.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

I don't care how well the pie turned out. I'm not following THAT recipe. Stay vertical and heal quickly.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Ouch. I guess you're not going to be writing up that pie-making procedure..

Nothing damaged too badly, I trust?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Intensive care", Mo doing CPR and "saving his life, probably"?

Something seems to have been seriously damaged. One can hope that the damage isn't going to be permanent or slow-healing, but it's being advertised as being pretty serious at the time.

Falling down stairs can be fatal ....

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ouch, I'm glad to hear everything turned out OK in the end. (And no more running on the stairs!)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, that's not what happened. You obviously got a bit overly comfy reading your really good book and numbed essential motor control in one or both leg s with constricted blood flow. The immediate challenge of a speedy stairway traverse was not the smartest move you could have made. Next time test you r ability to even stand, balance, dorsiflex the ankles, etc.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ouch, that was a scary event, I thought this could only happen to mountain bikers. Hopefully you'll heal up soon.

My wife started making non-sweet fruit pies, some Greek name. They are better than anything that has the usual load of sugar in it and to our surprise visitors liked them so much that they wanted the recipe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You know, Fred, you might want to get your carotid circulation looked at. The effect might be reversible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can we please have this great non-sugar-loaded recipe?

Reply to
DaveC

John, glad to see you are able to write. Now let's work on walking...

SF is nice, but too much traversing up-and-down required (stairs and streets).

Reply to
DaveC

Slow cooling in the oven works great... avoids the crust cracks from quick cooling.

All body parts repaired OK? ...Jim Thompson

Two skull fractures, one broken rib, several square feet of road rash and bruses. The rib is is the worst thing. I recommend that everyone pay careful attention to handrails.

I was astonished by the quality of the medical care. The EMTs took me to SF General Hospital (even though I'm a Kaiser member), the public dumping ground for local gunshots and the homeless, because they have the best trauma care. They were superb. And funny, not the best thing to be around a guy with a broken rib.

I complained to a male nurse about how awful the food was, and he gave me a dirty look and said "my mother cooks here." Ditto a neurologist, who said "that's a neurological test. If you like the food, you're in serious trouble."

I'll be fine, and the pie recipe will endure.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

He may have been drinking too...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ok, here goes. It does have a tiny bit of sugar but you can't taste it. Translated from German, which was probably translated from French because I believe that's where Clafoutis came from:

Clafoutis

2-3/4 oz of flour 3 eggs 3/4 cup of milk 2 tablespoons of butter 12-16 oz of blueberries (blackberries and raspberries also good) 3 tablespoons of sugar

Separate 1 egg into yolk and white. Put flour in bowl, add 2 eggs plus the egg yolk, mix until smooth. Slowly add milk while stirring. Melt the butter and carefully mix into the dough. Cover the mixture and let it rest to 30 minutes. Wash the berries and dab them dry. Slightly butter a pie pan. Preheat oven to 380F. Beat the egg white until stiff and mix into the dough. Spead into the pie pan, spread berries evenly on top (berries will sink a little). Bake for 20 minutes, then top evenly with the sugar and bake for another 20 minutes. Shut off the oven and let the Clafoutis rest for another 5 minutes in the oven.

My wife said strawberries will not work because they contain too much water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, the crust is beautiful.

Seems like everything will be OK.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Glad to here, you'll be fine. The pie, not so much! Ribs are not fun, I was wrestling with my teen son a few years back, he brought a knee up and it caught my on the bottom rib, didn't seem that hard, but it hurt for year. I don't wrestle with him now, he got bigger!

Fast healing to you, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There is a turning point in life when you realise that your kids can hurt you.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yikes!

Was hoping the apparent "pool of blood" was a pie-related joke, but I suppose those were still in the oven.

Glad you're OK!

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

Voice of experience? It seems to have worked for Robert Heinlein, and for Paul Bertelson (who was slightly less famous outside of psychology, but still somebody well worth knowing).

Fred doesn't seem to be in any need of that kind of help. Anybody who thinks that the central pillar of gapped pot core is likely to saturate in a real environment is more likely to be a candidate.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to