Another opamp question

Let's say I have an inverting amp with the + input at ground. The feedback resistor Rf is 100K, and the input resistor R1 to the inverting input is 10K. That's a gain of -10.

Now suppose I add R2, a 10K resistor from the inverting input to ground.

It seems this would cut the input signal in half, and lower the input impedance, but doesn't change the gain. I say that because at virtual ground at the inverting input, there is no voltage difference across R2, and therefore no current will flow through it. Hence no effect on the gain.

And yet, somehow that doesn't seem right. Well, of course I could breadboard it and see, but what's the fun in that?

Reply to
Peabody

It would have no effect on an ideal opamp, except to add some Johnson noise.

In real life, it will increase output DC offset and noise and reduce gain and bandwidth, but not dramatically with your numbers.

There is some signal at the inverting input; if there weren't, there would be no output. So some current does flow in your added resistor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Huh? why not bread board it? That's what I'd do. Try 10 ohms to ground on the inverting input. Try hitting it with fast edges/pulses. (then stick a 1 nF cap to ground.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Doesn't do a thing. The inverting input is already at "virtual" ground.

Reply to
krw

I once cured a production line OpAmp noise-pickup problem by bypassing the summing node with a capacitor (inverting mode). ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Only if there's no offset voltage.

...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

We did that once to solve a 2.4GHz TDM signal getting into a bipolar opamp.

Reply to
krw

Except where it's not a virtual ground, of course. So, at high frequencies, where the op-amp's gain is low. A resistor reduces HF response, probably only slightly.

Repeat the same experiment with a capacitor (or R+C), and you'll see why capacitance on the inverting input node is generally a no-no -- but why it can be useful, too (namely, compensating for op-amp gain roll-off). Peaking quickly turns into oscillation, so use it carefully. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Any more pedants?

Reply to
krw

Not at all pedantic, just giving additional information.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

.

uencies,

bably

It'll cut the closed-loop BW in half by forcing the amp to work at a noise gain of 20. Must be restful, working on stuff where you can ignore that. ;)

To the OP: the 10k input resistor and the 10k resistor to ground form a 2:1 voltage divider with a Thevenin resistance of 5k, which is what goes into the op amp gain formula. So you actually have a 20x amp with a 2:1 voltage divider on the front. The DC gain is still 10, but the bandwidth is halved and the offset voltage is doubled. (The op amp's voltage noise contribution is doubled as well, though at 5k you might not have to care.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Hmm, OK. I can imagine it might help in some instance. In general I'm (now) conditioned to keep C there to a minimum. I'm guessing it wasn't 1 nF. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks very much. Yeah, I sensed that I was wrong about it not affecting the gain.

Well, I needed to knock down an input audio signal so when it goes low it doesn't exceed the absolute maximum rating for the voltage on any pin below the negative rail. The resistor divider seemed to be the easiest way to do that. I don't really care about bandwidth or noise because I'm basically turning it into a square wave, rectifying, etc.

Would it be the same explanation for what the signal source sees as the input impedance of the amp? At DC it's still

10K, but what about AC? Would it be 5K?
Reply to
Peabody

Dumbass. Of course it can't be less than 10K. So maybe there's no change.

Reply to
Peabody

At low frequency it's still 10k because the loop keeps the SJ at ground, so no current flows through the grounded resistor.

Neglecting the effect of strays and the op amp's Cin, and looking well outs ide the loop BW, R_in would be about 19k. This is because the 100k R_f appe ars in parallel with the bottom leg of the voltage divider.

In the neighbourhood of f_3dB there will be some whoopdedoos in Zin.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

IIRC, it was _2nF_ >:-}

I'll post an analysis. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Huh, OK. No big deal if you don't have time to post anything. Years ago I spent some time C-loading TIA's and compensating them, sorta checking my math with the circuit.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

you need to read up on the concepts of virtual ground and summing junction.

Adding the 10k as you described has no effect on the closed loop gain.

makolber

.

Really?

So you don't think it affects the bandwidth? Closed-loop gain is a function of frequency after all.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

A gumdrop 1 MHz opamp only has a gain of 50 at 20 KHz. The OP was running at a closed-loop gain of -10. So he's already out of the ideal-opamp zone at audio frequencies. There will be a substantial gain error from the ideal, and adding the 10K will make it worse.

Bootstrapping a photodiode off the summing point of an opamp looks strange at first, but it works.

Friends don't teach friends that opamp inputs are always zero.