Another goofy MOS symbol...

...This time, spotted in a TI switchmode controller (LM25119) worksheet:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Looks like they lifted it from a UK passenger train

Reply to
bitrex

P+N channel?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Looks trans-sexual.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Business slow? So another superfluous post to keep your name in print ?>:-}

A symbol is just a short-hand way to convey information. (And this symbol fits the tight space.)

Is it not clear that it is NMOS (body diode arrow)?

The extra arrow certainly makes it clear which end is the source.

On a functional schematic all that matters is that the symbol netlist appropriate to the simulator or layout tool in use. ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

And not even political.

Lots of things make the polarities obvious.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I could make a symbol... a babe, one tit up, one tit down, a "pin" on each and assign a couple other orifices as "pins"... it would still simulate as an NMOS (_if_ I assigned an appropriate model NMOS to the "symbol" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Not at all, indeed found in the course of the current job, which will fill out a sizable fraction of the year's income.

I'd post more about the job, but, y'know, NDAs and all that. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I there, in general, a lot of demand for "real" electronic designers?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

2017 has been just nuts round here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Chip design work has been down from last year... mostly due to my being pretty much out of commission with the cancer treatments, but Spice modeling requests have boomed... and I can do that without any travel and on my own schedule... no meetings, minimal "design" reviews. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Cool... the control electrode has ohmic contact to substrate? I thought nowadays insulated gates ruled! :)

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I didn't know you could get power switching MESFETs, but there you have it!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Nah, you can tell from the cyclic arrows that it's actually a supercurrent switch. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Neeerp! It's "clearly" a PNP with a voltage-enhanced base region ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Ick. I suppose it's gotta be power NMOS, with the arrow indicating the opposite of the parasitic channel diode. But, now I'll have to THINK about it when next I see a JFET symbol.

Reply to
whit3rd