another board

Here's the first article of my P545 board.

This is a receiver/simulator of inductive sensors, including synchros, resolvers, LVDTs, and RVDTs. Unfortunately, the transformers took up so much room that we had to put a bunch of parts on the bottom of the board, which we prefer to not do since it makes troubleshooting harder. The vias are not solder masked, which makes every one a probe-able test point, which will help.

All I can do now is fire it up and see if the power supplies work. It includes the 24-to-32 boost switcher that we discussed.

It needs a heap of ARM and FPGA code to do anything else, and we'll need a bunch of Python to exercize/test/calibrate it. I'm really glad that I don't code much any more; it's getting too complex.

It's *heavy*.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I installed latest basic Debian Linux on a partition on my laptop, much to my surprise it comes without C compiler, but with python. Played a bit with it and concluded Linux was dead. d-bus...

I mean as for Unix and its simplicity the guys have now created a monster. Decided to put no more time into debian. Played some with an old raspberry pi that now is 4G access point and can stream terrestrial TV over the LAN. Even that is an old Linux kernel..3.12.35+ but works great, has gcc compiler.

In this universe ..ever increasing complexity... sort of self-strangling... What's the word 'entropy'. Or bloatware :-)

Normally I run Slackware linux, like now, it is on every 'puter I have. Hope it does not get infected by all that crap. So far everything works, most compiled from source, 2.6.37.6-smp #1 SMP Sat Aug 3 19:23:48 CEST 2013

5 years old kernel, never a problem here.

Why add all the bloat???

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

wrote in news:pu6s4r$16sj$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Wow. You get graded at 4-F for your inane 'conclusion'.

IF you actually had ANY 'linux' brains, you would know how easy it is to INSTALL ANY APP, including C, etc.

Can you really be that stupid?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

C is not an "app."

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

"John Miles, KE5FX" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

When it is not 'included' one 'installs' it. Although ANY Linux CLI runs C natively.

As if I needed you to tell me something factual about C.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Going to need a lot of physical support points to pass vibration testing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:3ee94113-e51b-414e-8c5a- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

synchros,

testing.

High density, non-conductive foam pad under hard mounted PCB. Same in can lid. Problem solved.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If that doesn't create thermal problems. On power boards it's liable to. And if your foam lasts long enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's a bunch of C compilers available in the repo. but one is not installed automatically unless neeeded by some other package.

GCC and Clang are available from the debian repos and there's also cross-compilers like SDCC, AVRGCC etc.

Jasen Betts

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It isn't a power board. Do you even know what LVDT is?

Those transformers are going to stay cold. The pads are to dampen motion. However, thermal 'pads' are out there. We used 1/4" thick thermal pads on one design. It was a conduction cooled design so the speed of the thermal soak was not important. A single homogeneous mainboard temp was.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes I know that, of course I installed gcc, needed to compile a zillion of my own programs.

But leaving out essentials as gcc is a sign on the wall it is moving towards kids stuff level. Some things did not even work, like bluetooth, bluez, aplay via bluetooth etc. lots of crap with pulse audio. Insanely bad window manager... Replaced it with fvwm xfm... I am out of there. Funny thing is with debian derived distros like Ubuntu and even raspberry everything _does_ work, and gcc is standard. But older version that is.

Maybe it is lack of testing by debian, not sure what their target audience is.. Even grub assigns other distros on my laptop with wrong labels, the freaking debian almost killed my graphics card, colors are wrong, not even running 'redshift' gets it right, they do not know the difference between brightness and contrast (setting brightness changes contrast) endless crap.

Anyways,.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

wrote in news:pu7v5j$o3i$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

That is about a stupid statement. What? You think Python is a kiddie's language? If so, you really are an idiot. Do you even know what a widget is?

Leaving out gcc or any other 'thing' which *you* consider to be essential is not a sign of anything other than your lack of grasp.

It is real simple. A live disc or stick has gparted on it so that it can perform storage device modifications during an install.

The installed 'product' does NOT have it, but it is easily installed.

That is just one example. Baseline size is large so things get left out, and are there for the USER to decide to include or not.

Damn, boy. Grow the f*ck up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

with respect my comment was about PCBs generally, not just one.

oh dear.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not everybody know that it's a linear variable differential transformer, and if you don't explicitly tell him what it is, he'll believe you don't know.

Like most narcissists he thinks he's much cleverer than he is, and much cleverer than other people.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I don't give a whatsit what he thinks. You either.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It won't be vibration tested. It's a bench/rackmount instrument.

lunatic fringe electronics

On the bottom side, under each transformer, there is a TCA0372 power dual opamp driving both ends of the transformer primary half-bridge style. We can excite synchros and LVDTs, and the main limit on our output power is opamp and/or transformer heating. We'll have a fan for the box and a bunch of software to limit dissipation.

Air enters the bottom of the box and is exhausted out the top. The cutaways on the sides of the board direct air from below to above.

lunatic fringe electronics

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:4f7ef3e6-bc12-4ef9-886a-65ec90a4cb40 @googlegroups.com:

How do you know he wasn't talking about you?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The spell in Debianish Linux is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

--

-TV
Reply to

We've noticed. You are the kind of gullible twit who prefers to take cheats and intentional scam artists seriously.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman