Analogue Scopes are Better

Hi,

see this vid for proof:

Try doing that with your Rigol toys .....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try catching a transient waveform or serial comms packet with an analog cro.

Horses for courses.

Reply to
Trumble

-------------------

** I understand what you mean, but the massive excess of pro DSO propaganda needs redressing

** I use my analogue scope all the time to detect and measure transients.

Just stop the horizontal, set the trigger level and wait.

BTW:

I own a Rigol DS1052e which spends its life on the shelf.

Mainly cos it is so *TDS* to use ;-)

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I could put the Rigol _on top_ of my Kikuisi, and feed the Rigol from the Channel 1 output on the rear of the Kik. Then route the pass/fail output on the back of the Rigol to the external trigger input of the Kik.

If the waveform goes out of tolerance from the mask the Rigol has built up it triggers the analog scope to get a better look at the problem

Reply to
bitrex

That doesn't help if you need to see how you got there. IOW, you can't post-trigger that way.

Reply to
krw

I don't use a Rigol but the storage of a DSO will show more information, even with those displays.

Because there are *so* many places where they're better and so few where they aren't.

Only if your signal of interest's amplitude is outside the norm. Try triggering on deviations in an eye pattern, on an analog scope.

Mainly because you don't know how to use it.

Reply to
krw

It wouldn't catch single-shot events, that's true, but if the deviation is recurrent with some period, trigger + the 5060's delayed sweep should be able to set it up to capture the next event

Reply to
bitrex

Cute but not very useful.

All my digital scopes will do X-Y. The better ones have variable persistance.

You can't get 1 GHz or 7 GHz bandwidth on 4 simultaneously-sampled channels, on an analog scope.

I haven't used an analog scope in years. I think the only analog scope that anyone occasionally uses around here is the Tek 7104, the gigantic 1 GHz microchannel plate thing, but the new Rigol and LeCroy digital scopes are better.

Analog scopes tend to break, and nobody important is making new ones.

My 11802 is wonderful, a 50 GHz sampler with a CRT display, but it's really a digital scope. I'll miss it when it dies.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

My first was a 1MHz thing. I worked on 6MHz signals with it. I was lucky to have it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I had a Heathkit OM-3, 1.2 MHz, all AC coupled, repetitive sweep. Costs something like $60.

I managed to get the sweep retrace to trigger a flashtube and did some lidar-ish stuff.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I keep both, with a 2465 and TDS series on the shelf. Those and a couple of 7000 series mainframes if I want to play with the sampling and tdr plugins. It's useful to have both. Use HP495x series analysers for serial RS232 work, which have a macro language for programming output packets. 4957a is the best, though line speeds are limited...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

----------------------------

** No it wont, it wont show such displays at all.

** Bollocks.

** That is what a transient usually is.

Piss off you stupid troll.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nonsense. Because you don't know how to use your scope doesn't mean others aren't any smarter.

Fact, whether you like it or not. If there were a need, it would be met. There isn't. ...except for old fools like you who refuse to move out of the stone age.

You certainly took your stupid pills today, Phyllis. The transient of interest may not be a maximum or may not exceed the surrounding signal. It's not necessarily a voltage, either. It could be a transient in the time or frequency (or data) domains.

Reply to
krw

The best thing about the old 54x and 7000-series Tek plugin scopes were the special plugings, like the switchable-bandwidth high-gain diffamps and the differential comparators. The TDR stuff, with tunnel diode step generators, were mediocre.

I did get started in high-speed design with a flea-maket 1S2.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

-----------------------------

** Complete fact.

Even the simplest of Lissajous patterns look AWFUL on a Rigol or similar.

** Now the f****it troll adds abuse to his damn lies.
** No, bollocks.

The only thing you have.

** But it *usually* is -

you illiterate f****it TROLL !!!!

Get cancer, die.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--------------------

** Massive prejudice.

** So will the Rigol, but looks horrible.

** Yawnnnnn...

** That is obvious.

** Bollocks.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

But such DSO displays contain more information. Persistence shows more information.

Obviously true, Phyllis.

You've overdosed on your own shit, Phyllis.

Yes, you usually take your stupid pills.

Not likely. Surely. Beats being brain dead now, Phyllis.

Reply to
krw

--------------------------------

** We all know you are completely insane, that's why you hide your identity.

You must be scared of the consequences if you did not.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They are old, full of rotary switches and pots and high-voltage and high-dissipation parts and, towards the end, custom ICs. Nobody important has made an analog scope for about 20 years now.

Adjusted for inflation, a 100 MHz Rigol costs about 5% of a Tek analog equivalent, and does a lot more.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

---------------------------

** None of which is proof of you absurd claim.

FYI:

My own 50Mhz scope has only had 2 issues in 30 years of daily use:

  1. A 22kohm, 1/4W MF went open in the vertical amp.

  1. A switch pot became intermittent.

I have spares for the input JFET diff pair IC and a spare Toshiba CRT PLSU a back up similar model that get no use.

Rigols will not last 30 years of use and repair is near impossible.

** What a damn shame.

Serviceable examples will become valuable soon.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison