Analog scope fun

Ooh, directly heated high voltage subminiature didoes. Exotic...

Reply to
bitrex

I also have a COS5060 and have kept it running for about 30 years.

I like it, needed to repair some corroded connectors and bad solder joints.

One thing I have never been able to locate a schematic for it.

I have the service manual which has a block diagram, but not an actual schematic.

Anyone have a schematic for the KIK COS5060?

mark

Reply to
makolber

No shit, Sherlock?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My firewall won't allow it for some reason.

Yes, some kind of real-time interpreter interface. No biggie I'd have thought.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:28:26 -0400, bitrex wrote: [...] Well spotted! :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But, as Dr. Hobbs mentions, the refresh rate of an LCD doesn't come near having the bandwidth to "natively" display waveforms at their natural frequency. You'd have to sample the vertical amp output and DSP-ify it to make the LCD create a representation of what a CRT )would_ display, even with just simple point and line primitives, prior to making it look nice.

An electrostatically deflected CRT has no such limitations; you can swing the beam back and forth across the face in literally nanoseconds.

And as the esteemed krw points out, this would be a rather ugly hack to mate circuits that were never designed to be DSP-ified to make a Frankenscope which would likely lose the performance advantages of the original.

Reply to
bitrex

There's one for the COS5040 online, don't know how similar they are:

Reply to
bitrex

close enough THANK YOU! mark

Reply to
makolber

Grab some spare CA3086es if you want to keep it going another 30, it uses a couple in the pre-amps and the ones in DIP are obsolete and starting to get scarce...;-)

Reply to
bitrex

Maybe that was part of why they were blowing out the "100MHz" model direct from the manufacturer for $30 less than the "50Mhz" model is selling for on Amazon at the moment...

Reply to
bitrex

Old Teks did that all the time. Just one Zener diode in the whole power supply, it was the reference for all the other supplies.

Reply to
jurb6006

Anyone remember a little book "One hundred and one ways to use an oscilloscope"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope! Did it have any novelty ideas beyond Lissajou figures? Like those amazing sound tracks that create moving images of bike races and so forth?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not a myth at all, it applies to all the 105x series models. There is a software-controlled varactor intended to cripple the bandwidth. My own

1054 now thinks it is an 1102.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Do not have the booklet, but hear one article was about X,Y,Z,W, and some other axis. Another was how to use the scope as an SCA decoder.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have used an xy scope once as character display.

1 Print text on t he computer screen. 2 Read the pixels on the screen. 3 If white pixel, put x and y value on 2 dao channels. 4 wait a millisecond. 5 proceed to the next white pixel.

Made fine readable text on the scope.......

Useful? Dont think so. Fun? Yes.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Nice!