Analog filter design metgod questions

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:23:30 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Simon S Aysdie wrote in :

Seems to be only the index?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Could be. I did not check because I already have it. It should be on the web someplace.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

I only mentioned it because I thought it was free. Maybe free availability has diminished. The book is okay, and has the transformations in question. I don't know if I would pay for it. It is very professor-ish. It is nicely typeset.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

," where response

is no way to bring

d component Q.)

a response

ing it to the load.

fter all, the return

ure reactive

mounts to the

eturn loss

n" will come

will probably not

bathtub-like

Thanks, that makes sense. Loudspeaker efficiency behaves the same way, for much the same reason--you have to knock down the peaks becaose it's hard to fill in the valleys.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks. I have used these transformations in the past, and they have worked fine. My initial queries were more related to the text book treatment of this topic, and almost always it starts with a prototype low pass filter, with a set of initial conditions (e.g., max. allowed pass band deviation from idea(dB) etc.,) Then one determines the filter order, and then does a table look up or constructs the transfer function, followed by frequency and impedance scaling, and if needed a transformation to another type (high, band, band stop etc.,) Fine, My question was suppose one were to start with a high pass filter, then what would the set of initial conditions be ?

Reply to
dakupoto

So very true. But opamps, sonner or later, hit the gain-bandwidth product constraint. I am more interested in ladder networks, in the RF and microwave frequency ranges.

Reply to
dakupoto

If you know all about them, just plug them in and do the algebra. The answers to your original question require about two lines of algebra each.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

In addition there is typically some nasty "overshoot" in the gain (as a function of frequency) around the corner frequency.

Reply to
Frank Miles

I think that's often true. I recall reading about it as a kid, in the 1973 National Semi Audio Handbook, in the context of active crossover networks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Filter Solutions/Nuhertz people have great software for designing exotic LC filters. We spent a week trying to design a post-DAC LC lowpass filter by hand, and the software did it in minutes. I think they also have software for designing microwave transmission line filters.

 Click to see the full signature