analog failures

My experience is that we find a lot of bugs and documentation problems with the digital parts of mixed-signal chips.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den tirsdag den 14. februar 2017 kl. 23.47.11 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

It does seem like when analog designers get to design the digital parts of a chip it often ends up with a hairball of hazards and weird quirks

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yup. It's all Jim's fault.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I wondered who would be the "snarker".

Actually, when I have anything exceeding combinational, I have a buddy who cranks out an SPI bus for me.

As for _device-level_ logic design, I am quite good at that... after all _device-level_ IS analog... ask Motorola/ON-Semi about my 74HC designs. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

That was always my experience with part from NatSemi. Pure analog was good, pure digital was good, mixed mostly was a mess.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Mixed signal design is difficult, and doing it on a chip, where it is harder to keep the noisy digital bits away from the sensitive analog bits, wouldn't have made it any easier.

Sadly, mixed signal design can do a lot more than pure analog or pure digital, so if you have got something complicated to do, that tends to be what you end up doing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We recently designed-out the AD7793; the SPI interface is hopelessly botched.

There was some other ADI chip, a DAC I recall, that has a bit in one register that changes which edge of the SPI clock is active! It's not clear what the powerup state of that bit is.

I had to do this:

---------------------- | | data----------------- --------------------

--- | | clock----------------------- ------------------------------

to make sure it would work.

lunatic fringe electronics

The weird stuff always happens at the interface between designers that each know their stuff, but don't know the other's stuff.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

It was never the problem of digital noise coupling into the analog portions but the digital totally mixed up, like the LM75 going into a state where only a power cycle helps to get it working again. This can be caused by noise on the I2C signals. I had the same with a part from Microchip. It has a config bit to automatically reset its I2C interface after a timeout period without any activity on the bus. This bit is reset after power on. So if the interface goes gaga because of a poor POR you never get it working.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

No, no. I was blaming you for the _analog_ problems. You sly devil.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Sno-o-o-ort >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

IME most analog failures are caused by ESD and that is often squarely in the court of the board level designer.

Upsets without subsequent chip damage are also considered a fault where the function is mission-critical. That is very often due to EMI.

I2C is a bus I try not to use if it can be avoided because of various hang-ups. SPI is much more robust IME and, therefore, that is what I prefer.

Oh-oh. Sounds like they built in a loose cannon for a sledgehammer. However, a poor POR is something the circuit designer should take care of. Never trust any on-chip POR/BOR. Ever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I prefer SPI too, and it's faster, but lots of people design terrible SPI interfaces, bad logic design and bad clock/data circuits. Every SPI should have schmitt inputs and safe timing margins. Maybe cooking a digital design into an analog process causes compromises, but I suspect it's just sloppy engineering.

The little NXP ARM chips, LPC1768 and such, seem to do POR right.

All the FPGAs that we have used lately, ditto.

You can connect one of those ARMs, or an FPGA, to a serial flash chip and have the whole thing boot up reliably.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think that a lot of analog chip designers outsource digital IP modules, things like Ethernet, PCIe, SPI, PLLs, like that. Similarly, a uP or FPGA designer may outsource an ADC to tuck into one corner of the chip. The result is bad documentation, no support, and bugs.

We use some ARM chips that have onboard ADCs, and NXP seems to know almost nothing about them.

Hardware is quickly catching up with software!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Even they seem to have their oops moments.

Quote page 9: "POR reset value of the event router STATUS register corrected"

Quote page 18:

"Problem:

The USB host controller will hang indefinitely if it sees a dribble bit on the USB bus. It will hang the first time a dribble bit is seen. Once it is in this state there is no recovery other than a hard chip reset. This problem has no effect on the USB device controller.

Work-around:

None."

End quote

If you use certain FPGA you'd first have to call the people at your energy provider that you are about to turn it on :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, 0.9 volts at 15 amps isn't a lot of power.

It's your bank that you have to call before you design in a big FPGA. Some of the chips cost over $10K.

Digikey offers one Virtex for $54,976.08000. Why steal diamonds when a reel of FPGAs is worth millions?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 15. februar 2017 kl. 19.53.11 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

a couple of zeros was added to make up the numbers for a military contract ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's unfortunate, particularly because if you just take a lickum-stickum approach to the design process the analog bits won't work nearly as well as you'd like.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Good advice if the chip has no reset pin. :-(

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

What, you think anyone would actually pay for illegitimate ones?

They depreciate faster than cars!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC