Analog Devices: No samples anymore?

Just curious: Looked at a few AD parts lately and there is no link to get samples anymore. Always says "We're Sorry. There are no samples available for part number you have requested".

Did they do away with that? No problem for my office since I can just order at Digikey. But at clients that can mean delays because there one must often order through a formal purchase request.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have not had a problem in general, got one a few days ago. I seem to recall seeing there were sometimes not samples for some old parts, some very expensive parts, or things like DIP packages.

But looking at any random part page should show lots of sample buttons.

Oh, it seems to go through their "myAnalog" system, possibly you have something blocked, are not "registered" or some such thing?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Some parts are hard to get samples of. I had to go to great lengths to prove I was worthy of evaluating one of their ADN-series laser drivers.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Joerg? Joerg has everything blocked... then complains >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I did register. But it could be, as John Larkin said, that they do not offer samples of their more fancy parts unless you are related to Warren Buffett. I was looking at AD8302 and AD603, for example.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, many companies still think in the medieval concept of accounts, can't understand that a lone consultant can make a 1/2 million revenue decision for or against them with the stroke of a drafting pen, or mouse.

At clients this can be very annoying, especially with big ones that have a certain level of bureaucracy in the purchasing systems. Samples can bypass that completely and not being able to sample can easily add a week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Which is why one of the first things I do in a company is become friends with someone in the purchase department. You need more than engineers on your team :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Peculiar, no samples available for those.

RF parts.

They must think if you make phones or base stations, you will have your own on-site ADI rep already. Or perhaps Bad People want them.

Yet it appears to be no problem getting a $78 DAC, for example. Strange.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Did you miss this at the bottom of their free sample page...

...Jim Thompson

What, I have a PAC against me now? That's mean ... grrrrrr ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Dangerous. When I did this with the marketing department at my first employer it resulted in ... well ... how should I say ... we are still married :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I see. You can no longer be trusted anywhere near marketing departments. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

[snip]

I simply tell recalcitrant companies (via their local sales offices)... I _was_ going to design a custom chip that interfaced to your product, now you be designed out, and I've chosen an xyz-brand part to use instead... stand back and watch the frenzy >:-} ...Jim Thompson

TI finally fixed my 'account' for ordering samples. Unfortunately for them they already lost the design at hand to LT.

BTW you could order the devices yourself from a next-day-delivery company (like Farnell, Digikey? RS, etc) have them delivered to your client and bill them as material.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

At big companies that doesn't really work. Big truck backs up to loading dock, 250 packages pour out the back, guy at the loading dock looks. "Joerg Who? Yo, Leroy, take this one back, ain't nobody by that name working here".

I could send it to someone else's name. That would promise to be some real fun when a tax auditor checks my records. All the red flags would go up in his eyes.

And even then it doesn't always work. Once I needed an Infineon part. Could only get a full reel at the distributor. Infineon didn't care, even after I told them to charge my credit card with whatever costs they incur. So their part got designed out. Old American wisdom: "If you don't take care of your customer, someone else will". And someone else did :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I just email the appropriate FAE and samples[*] magically show up. Lunch included, quite often. ;-)

[*] Often as many as the PPoE used to buy for the life of some products.
Reply to
krw

Are you running the NoJoerg plugin on your browser?

Reply to
krw

I got 3500 samples of the MAX9691. But I deserved them.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

They don't like Jeorg because he blows up all the samples, then brages about it on Usenet. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Usually unknown stuff gets trapped in the mail room. Getting to know those people is on my list as well.

For a few dollars? Besides, the bill is in your company's name, only the delivery address is different. Ofcourse you have it send to your contact in the company or the secretary of the department.

I think you can translate that into any language :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel