An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Check out a rather unusual phenomenon you can see on your oscilloscope in my latest blog (#14):

See if you can get it to happen on your scope! I'll offer a free subscription to my blog for the best screen shot posted :->

Oh, and the probe doesn't have to be shorted either.

Have fun. Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Got it immediately, because I once worked in lab that had cheap plastic chairs that generated 1cm sparks when you stood up!

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

When I worked a Century Data we had a problem with our new reel to reel vaccuum column tape drive when ever someone would walk by the drive when it was reading it would get data errors. The problem was that the shield on the cable from the heads to the preamp was grounded on both ends.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

That's usually the best way to ground shields.

John

my

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

rnatezone.com/eevblog/

Hey, is that Chinese take-out I spy?

Reply to
miso

No. Where?

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

rnatezone.com/eevblog/

On the right. Eh, probably an open box.

Reply to
miso

Look at a piece of blank paper and you will see what i see on that site. Therefore the mashed and flattened tree wins.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yep, an open Altronics box! Curiously though the contents were made in Australia and not China - how novel!

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

IIRC head signals mostly went via twisted pair. If they had a shield as well we would certainly not ground them on both sides.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

Back in the old days, they used to generate 1/2" sparks.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nasty stuff that Bakelite.

Reply to
Dennis

Goes nicely with wood cases:

Spehro Pefhany

If you set the time base correctly and crunch down on a carrot you will see a complex waveform on the scope. Very difficult to store on a digital scope though. :-) Mike

Reply to
amdx

When I started out with a government run telco and some of the gear was still in nice wooden cases. Over the years I saw pallet loads of test gear consigned to scrap. Loads of bridges, wood cased multimeters and bakelite AVO meters. These things sell for quite a few dollars nowadays - aint hindsight nice!

Reply to
Dennis

Lunch pictures?

Reply to
terryc

You *want* large amounts of high-frequency common-mode noise?

John

I always call a probe shorted as in the video an "inductive pickup loop" :-).

Of course, even when a probe isn't shorted it's an inductive pickup loop too.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I wonder if you take a picture with a longish shutter speed while eating Doritos if you could capture that.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Depends. With floating transducers and shielded twisted pair, it's best to ground the shield only at the transducer end. That way any capacitive imbalance doesn't produce any currents, because the shield is at the transducer's idea of ground.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs