amusing product teardown video

I turned the volume down after a minute or two, but this tablet type computer is still funny

Cydrome Leader

Hahaha.

These days you can buy a switcher that would power that board for about 3 bucks off eBay from China, shipping included...

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

computer-teardown/

This is the kind of lash-up I'd expect to find come out of some back street hack-shop in Nigeria. I was really shocked to see it's of German origin! :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

We can only hope that it was a contract job...

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Whoever built that requires a "contract job" if you ask me. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Does this EEV blog guy have a real job, or is he just another guy who couldn't meet his own deadlines with working prototypes, under budget?

My only question would be 'Did it serve its purpose?'. He'll never know.

RL

Reply to
legg

He started his vblog about six years ago, then got laid off from Altium and decided to do the blog full time. He seems to be able to make a living and support a growing family. Dunno if he consults on the side, but if so, he couldn't have better advertising for some types of gig.

I do a fair number of hand-wired protos for proof-of-concept demos, because they're way faster than PCBs, and therefore much cheaper for the client, and they work great for many things. For instance, these were for a transcutaneous blood alcohol and glucose probe, which worked great. (The company ran out of dough before the contract engineering firm got their version working, but it may yet fly.) Took six weeks start to finish, from concept to photon budget, to detailed E & O designs, to working electro-optical proto, to successful testing on real subjects. (Testing BAC sensors is fun.)

+16V to +-15V and +5V SMPS, temperature servo, and lock-in demodulator box

Temperature-controlled InGaAs photodiode box (notice the op amp mounted on the cold plate to get rid of thermocouple offsets and its own drift)

Assembled, waiting for bundles and grating:

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I thought the presenter a bit of a tw-t. It was plainly not delivered to a customer, it was a preproduction unit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd guess its purpose would have been to help secure a large contract for supply of (properly engineered) devices. They hacked something together that looked (from the outside) like the final product- probably on a very short deadline. It also looks pretty old based on the CF card and Windows XP and maybe NiMH cells. It's apparently still functional after 5-10 years, so not too shabby.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I see the logic behind some of the weird wiring in that thing, but the quality of assembly still has me laughing. Might have been some sort of project to for the interns.

When I took drafting the instructor just had us draw a rectangle. Pretty much everybody got an F (grade didn't count). He circled everything wrong on everybody's shape and then explained there's a right way to do this and we're going to learn how.

The thing I hate the most about that tablet is the awful looking case. It just makes me itchy. We've all made shitty battery packs before.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Den onsdag den 25. november 2015 kl. 15.34.27 UTC+1 skrev legg:

he manages his own company doing youtube videos and it pays his salary and his office how is that not a real job?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

a hacked together prototype is one thing, but the only explanation for such horrible soldering is if it was done some late night in a hotel using a rusty old nail and a candle.

the guy who sent it to him had got it from a bankruptcy sale, and afaiu it was in a cabinet with a sign reading something like: "things to be forgotten"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Then why does that label imply it was the 11th unit produced?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Or by someone who is not an electronics engineer but knows how to interconnect some externally sourced building blocks and is new to soldering and construction.

People like that can build a PC from case and components, and in this case someone like that overshot their capabilities a bit while trying to fit a lot of parts in a small case.

He emphasizes that because the serial number is 0011 there must be 11 units or more like this, but of course that assumes the serial numbering started at 0001.

Maybe the number is just a random example, maybe the number is a design number in this case, or maybe the case was re-used from another product which was produced with serial number 0011 and had the touch screen but a different type of electronics, and was cannibalized for usage of just the screen and case for this one-off prototype.

Reply to
Rob

It doesn't but the guy who makes those videos believe all serials are sequential and start at 1 for some reason.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Looking through your photos, I'm just wondering whether you put these together out of your old junk box items rather than from newly ordered parts, and if so, do you re-use them over and over again?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Maybe they started with 11? We don't sell many of things and my boss likes to start the serial numbers at 100, so 101 is the first produced.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There were no recycled parts, because (besides the reliability hit) it isn't worth the time to do that except for really expensive stuff like TO3 power op amps. I do keep a big stock of through-hole parts for protos--I have a 6-foot Vidmar cabinet about half full of them (the rest is optics and stuff), plus boxes full in the storeroom, and two small drawer cabinets full of 1% resistors.

With that setup, I can throw together even something pretty complicated in jig time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I started with the zip code for a couple of product lines. When the small group expanded into a division, that was wired into the MRP system.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

I started one sequence with the founding date of the company. Postal codes are alphanumeric here so that was out. Getting one of the first of few anything (be it a product or an invoice) creates a certain impression that may or may not be desirable.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany